Parsnips at last

• 35 Replies

Growster...

Re: Parsnips at last
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 14:32 »
get them in the ground as soon as the 2nd leaf starts to grow, the root will be at the bottom by then ;)

Oh thanks Mum! I was wondering what the timing would be, and that was probably going to be another question...;0)

Bit dry down this way isn't it...!

I'm over in Ashford on Monday on business, so will compare yellow lawn colourings...

flutemaster

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 11:12 »
hi
i used to have similar problem and buying so called fresh seed didn't solve it,i then decided to propogate my own seed and this seems to have solved it.just leave one plant to mature then it will die back,the following year it will grow again and then set seed(2 year cycle)hope this is helpful
flutemaster

Anton

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2011, 11:52 »
Can you explain the procedure about growing seeds in a paper pot (how may to a pot, the pot made from newspaper?, how deep), as I can't see any earlier reference, and I too have gaps in my row. I suppose it's too lately to put down fresh seeds and I suppose you can't transplant parsnhips?

Anton

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 18:08 »
Can you explain the procedure about growing seeds in a paper pot (how may to a pot, the pot made from newspaper?, how deep), as I can't see any earlier reference, and I too have gaps in my row. I suppose it's too lately to put down fresh seeds and I suppose you can't transplant parsnhips?
Open up a double-page from a tabloid and fold in half (top-edge to bottom-edge, not left-to-right)

Roll it round a spray can. Choose one about 2", or a bit bigger, in diameter. Leave a bit more than 1" of the paper sticking out below the end of the can, and after you've rolled the newspaper round the can tuck in the overhanging paper to form the bottom of the pot. Slide the "pot" off the can.

I put my parsnip seed on a damp piece of kitchen paper in a ramekin or Tupperware box. Put a lid on, or cover with cling film, to keep the moisture in. They take about 7 days to germinate. I put mine on top of the microwave so I remember to look at them a couple of times a day - don't put on the window, probably get too hot this time of year.

Once you can see some roots fill your your paper pots with compost and pop the seed in - its a bit fiddly . Make a small depression in the compost (1.4" deep), pop a seed in, gently cover, water with a fine rose. The bit sticking out of the seed is the root, so plant it facing down, or flat, but preferably not pointing upwards though (although, once covered with compost, it will find its way downwards)

After pricking-out into the pots you have 3 weeks max before planting out. Start hardening off a week after  the seed leaves are properly up.  Plant out a week after that, or as soon as you see the first true leaf. Don't delay 'coz the taproot grows quickly.

No, not worth trying to transplant them. Most likely they will fork.

Anton

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 20:57 »
Well  thanks a million for all that information. I know how to make the paper pots. I didn't know about the germinating thing. So you don't reckon it's too late to do this? Anton

Anton

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2011, 10:21 »
thanks very much for the tip about putting seeds in a moist tupperware box and then into peat pots one tails show. They are now in the ground and seem to be thriving.

Anton

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips

Started by flimbin on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 23, 2009, 21:32
by sunshineband
xx
Parsnips

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 23, 2007, 22:56
by GrannieAnnie
xx
No Parsnips

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 09:47
by Zak the Rabbit

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 32 queries.