converting shed

• 6 Replies

fastmonkey85

converting shed
« on: March 21, 2010, 19:45 »
evening all

i am wanting to expand my flock of laying hens and was thinking along the lines of making one myself as times are hard and treats are rare. i think that the prices are too high for buying them from a company but if anyone knows of a cheap site then please let me know.

i was thinking along the lines of buying a 6x4 shed and converting it into a coop. would it be that difficult to put some perches and nest boxes inside the shed. i just thought that it would be safer as well from foxes etc.

any comments and tips would be well recieved

cheers fastmonkey

karlooben

Re: converting shed
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 20:22 »
hi there , B and q sell 6'4 sheds for £89 and converting them is very very easy . i use fruit cage poles that u can get from the garden centre as perches and they are  sold in different diameters , i use one thats 1 1/2 inch thickness and its perfect for the girls as and they are really easy to place in the shed  ethier screw a hole into the side of the shed where you want the pole to go then get someone to hold it while u screw it in place  or ethier make a 3 sided block with the top open so u can just slot the pole in place an remove it anytime u want . nest boxes can be made from anything i use royal mail post boxes  :lol: :lol: the most perfect size for a chicken to lay in . if you want to add a feeder in there then use cut down guttering its ideal .

u can make one long nest box along the back end of the shed by simply screwing a piece of cut down 8'4 ply sheet or something similar make it about 1 foot high , i have done this in the past and the girls seemed to enjoy it but i was getting  broken eggs to much { found out who it was  :lol: } so i built my own design of roll away nest boxes .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

walker

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 21:05 »
This idea is something i am considering as it is cheaper than buying from a shop or internet site and will give the chucks more room.
This link is Shed Vs Coop some good pic's for ideas.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=52551.0
One light Sussex , two bluebells, two white stars, two speckled stars , two cream legbars.

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 20:15 »
Yes, you can definitely convert a shed - that is what I have done.  I swapped the window panel round so that it was at the bottom, put wood over it and then fitted the door and auto pop hole opener.  Inside we have wooden perches and some plastic tubs from Ikea as nesting boxes.  They are very happy in there, go for it!

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 20:26 »
elcie are those plastics tubs the light weight ones with lids that u can use for storage if yes please be carefull i used something very similar an the girls toppled them over and got stuck under them on a hot day , i found them later in the day and they were both dripping with sweat so please please be carefull using them .

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 20:05 »
elcie are those plastics tubs the light weight ones with lids that u can use for storage if yes please be carefull i used something very similar an the girls toppled them over and got stuck under them on a hot day , i found them later in the day and they were both dripping with sweat so please please be carefull using them .

These ones are not that deep, prob about 20cm.  They are quite light, but I bought the shelving unit that they fit into so they are quite sturdy and couldn't tip over.  They also get some privacy as half the gap between the boxes is wooden.  Thanks for the advice though Karlooben, I was thinking of getting rid of the shelving unit but will remember if I do that the boxes need to be secured or weighted down in some way so they can't be tipped over.

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 20:25 »
dont worry about elcie am always happy to give advice  :D

xx
converting shed

Started by puddleduck on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 18:33
by puddleduck
xx
converting a shed

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 07:24
by boybrown
xx
converting shed

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 12:53
by Elcie
xx
Advice on Converting Shed

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 19:09
by bexy

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 30 queries.