Blueberry pH?

• 6 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Blueberry pH?
« on: October 13, 2007, 17:48 »
Ive just treated my self to a pH meter. Only a cheap Gardman one ( :? and yer can tell its cheap - i had to open it and rewire the meter correctly cos it read backwards :lol: )

so, ive tested the soil in the big tub with the blueberries - pH 6.4-6.8, hmm  methinks, thats a bit high, need some sulphur in there (note the correct spelling :D  :evil: )

but i cant find a decent value to aim for, everything just says 'they like it acidic 4-6', can any of you guys tell me what pH to aim for?

...and yes, i know, i should have tested the pH loooonng ago... :(
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

agapanthus

Blueberry pH?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 18:04 »
I just googled this and most of the sites are varying the ph needed for blueberries :?  :?  One chap has been growing blueberries for 25 years on a soil that has 7 ph! He still has some of his original stock! :)

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Blueberry pH?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 18:10 »
thats what i found - everyones telling something different!

that chap must have had some luck! blueberries in the wild live in acid soils on moorland (and nice they are whilst hiking!)

my first blueberry was on neutral (pH 7.0) soil, it died!

i might bring it down to about pH 5.0, and maintain that over the next season and see how they go

brucesgirl

Blueberry pH?
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 19:41 »
Mine grow successfully in commercial ericaceous compost - so can you find a way of sneakily testing a bag of it in your local garden centre or superstore??

gobs

Blueberry pH?
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 20:03 »
That's brilliant, Bruce,  :lol:  :lol:  8)  8)  8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Blueberry pH?
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 20:24 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"
Mine grow successfully in commercial ericaceous compost - so can you find a way of sneakily testing a bag of it in your local garden centre or superstore??

i dont do sneeky, i do blatent. I would just walk up to a bag and ram the meter into it. I was once thinking of building a wooden playhouse for my lad, i went to the local timber place that sold them and spent half an hour with a tape measure, notepad and pencil and measured every inch of it! :lol:

Trillium

Blueberry pH?
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 02:17 »
We grow beautiful blueberries here but we've never once tested the soil. We just know they like it as acid as possible so we dump loads of plain sulphur powder twice yearly around the plants and scratch it in. Must work because the plants are healthy and yield abundantly. They also seem to like pigeon poop a lot. Symbiotic relationship, do you think?

clip
my blueberry

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post November 17, 2023, 18:11
by pepsi100
xx
Blueberry

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 10:22
by gobs
xx
Blueberry Bed

Started by Rocinante on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 03, 2019, 21:47
by Rocinante
xx
Re-pot blueberry?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 15:11
by Auntiemogs

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 32 queries.