Polytunnel questions

• 6 Replies

jrp

Polytunnel questions
« on: October 12, 2007, 01:45 »
:?: #1   Can anyone advise me about the best, safest way to clean up my tunnel at the end of growing season? It's a big tunnel, 3 metres high, so I can't easily reach the top. I've been growing tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, peppers, salads etc. in it for 3 years and this year had a bad dose of blight, and some botrytis, plus the usual whiteflies etc. I don't want to use anything that will shorten the life of the plastic. My supplier said just wash down with water, but I feel it needs something stronger. Has anyone tried Citricidal? If so what strength? Is there anything else that's safe?
 :?: #2  Why can't I get aubergines in tunnel to set fruit? Nice healthy looking plants, loads of flowers, but only 1 aubergine. The flowers just drop off. This was the 3rd year I've tried them.  Should I give up? In spite of the blight and all, this year I got a great crop of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and melons. So why don't aubergines work?

muntjac

Polytunnel questions
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 08:05 »
power washed wil sort it .. alllow to dry completly then use a sulphur candle . as fer aubergine ,,,,,,no idea other than irratic watering or no pollination  :?  :)
still alive /............

gobs

Polytunnel questions
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:05 »
You can indeed improve pollination by hand, but you gotta think that they shall never bare so much fruit as tomatoes. If it's anywhere near 20 C they just stop growing I find. Hope for 2-5 fruit per plant and stop growth after a few set. Keep warm and feed as for toms. :wink:  :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

jrp

Polytunnel questions
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 03:33 »
Thanks muntjac. You think it's OK to use a sulphur candle? It won't harm the plastic?

jrp

Polytunnel questions
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 03:50 »
Thanks gobs.
Do you mean they don't like it hotter than 20° or they don't like it cooler? It's nearly always well over 20° in the daytime, summer & autumn, but it could go down to 15° at night.
I'll try one last time in 2008, hand-pollinating. Didn't think they'd need that because tomatoes and melons set OK by themselves.

muntjac

Polytunnel questions
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 10:12 »
werks for me  :wink: .just follow directions on candle n get out quick when ya light it  :wink:

gobs

Polytunnel questions
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 10:15 »
They like 25-30 C.

Refer to seed info even on different varieties of the same thing. Some melons also need pollinating. Unless self-pol variety, it becomes a problem indoors. :)

xx
new polytunnel

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 19:17
by Goldfinger
xx
polytunnel

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 21:15
by Lee1978
xx
Polytunnel - what do I need to know?

Started by phillp on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 14:54
by Bethslosttheplot
xx
polytunnel getting it right!

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 23, 2012, 13:38
by arugula

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 36 queries.