Carrots and Parsnips - can anyone help

• 9 Replies

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:10 »
Hi

First year on the alotment and have never grown anything before - can anyone help please.

How long would you expect carrot and parsnip seeds to sow above soil - I sowed them almost 3 weeks ago now and nothing.  I sowed swede and beetroot just a few days after and they are well through now - I am thinking that something has happened to the carrots and parsnips.  

The seed beds were covered with netting but some bl**dy little finches found their way in - is it possible that they have taken out all 4 rows of seeds?

The old fellas down the lottie have advised us to sow/plant 3-4 weeks after that listed on the packet  (due to location - way up north) so according to them I still have time to sow some more seeds - but any ideas about the ones already in the ground.

willnbirdie

dereklane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:49 »
Are you sure the carrots aren't up? They're quite small to start with - I get down to eye level to check for them. Also, mine have only just popped up I planted mid-April. Not good germination, the ones I did under fleece did much better...

I'll be putting in more probably up to 2 weeks into June - I'm in N Derbyshire.

cheers

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 12:11 »
carrots and parsnips take a good time to come through .parsnips are worst . search parsnips or carrots for my easy deep bed idea for growing both :wink:
still alive /............

Oscar Too

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 13:55 »
They take a while, longer if it's been cold.  no need to worry yet.

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 17:51 »
my parsnips are only just poppingup and I planted them early April!  Carrots the same too

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 21:04 »
Hi

Thanks everyone - been to the plot today and can spy carrot seedlings  :D in amongst some very small weeds - now I know which are which I can dig the invaders out.

Still not sure about the parsnips yet as there are some weeds on that row too - will be patient and keep looking.

I am beginning to learn that a lot of time and patience is required - ho hum yet more skills to be learned  

willnbirdie

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 22:53 »
sowed ours today :wink:

SkipRat

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 23:34 »
A tip I,ve tried this year was to sow parsnips in full toilet rolls in greenhouse, when through simply make hole and pop full tube into ground. I sowed my snips end of march, planted out end of April, and snips are now 6 -8 inches high. Will do the same trick next year.   :D  :D
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Bombers

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 07:15 »
Quote from: "SkipRat"
A tip I,ve tried this year was to sow parsnips in full toilet rolls in greenhouse, when through simply make hole and pop full tube into ground. I sowed my snips end of march, planted out end of April, and snips are now 6 -8 inches high. Will do the same trick next year.   :D  :D

I did the same as you Skiprat, only in Richy's paper pots, and It worked a treat. As you say, mine are about 6ins high now. :)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

SkipRat

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 15:23 »
Quote from: "srebmob"
Quote from: "SkipRat"

I did the same as you Skiprat, only in Richy's paper pots, and It worked a treat. As you say, mine are about 6ins high now. :)

:lol:  :lol: Happy days then  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
parsnips/carrots

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 12:43
by celtbhoy
xx
Carrots and Parsnips

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 09:44
by muntjac
xx
Parsnips and Carrots

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 18:46
by greentig3r
xx
Carrots and parsnips

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 10:32
by doubledug

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 32 queries.