Shady areas

• 9 Replies
Shady areas
« on: July 10, 2014, 17:52 »
Hi all this is my first entry EVER on allotment gardening. Apologies for any spelling mistakes hope the PC catches them .
We are only 6 months into our new house so still learning all its rinckles and sunny spots. We are already growing potatoes carrots onions however these are in a known good sunny spot. I have a small area that I want to make use of 10' by 4' , as a raised bed. However, I not sure how much direct sun if any it will get through the year. One side is a high wall 15' the other our shed 10' plus its in a dip, to add to it at the moment there is a over hanging tree. However the latter probably will be coming out.
Could someone suggest vegetables that would be happy here?
Thanks

Nigel

Beetroot Queen

Re: Shady areas
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 19:29 »
Lettuce seem to like shade not sure if it would be too shady but mine are under a big tree and happy as larry

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 20:36 »
Thanks for that.
Had good laugh at your caption under the picture, ref standards now I have kids te he very good

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 21:33 »
Its so very true. I looked out my window at the wrong time this morning and saw that the little ones have left beautiful finger prints for me.  ::) Florence said today " mum have you seen the dirt on this table" she meant dust. To which I replied " would you like to help mummy" and passed her a duster.

On shade plants found this rule

Grown for fruit or root= needs full sun

Grown for leaves = shade ok

richie3846

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 22:09 »
I have been experimenting with shade myself this year. I have a spot which receives around 4 hours direct sun between around 930am till 130pm. Here is what I've found so far:

Lettuce love it - I've had no bolters, and the crop has been fantastic
Beetroot - these have been in for around 2 months and are forming nice roots, so thumbs up so far
Kale - Thriving, seem to love the part shade

It does depend how deep the shade is I think - my shadow is cast from a tree. As the rest of the aspect is quite open, the plants still get a lot of 'sky light' even when shaded from the tree. I haven't tried it myself, but I reckon the enormous leaves of the courgette plant could absorb a fair amount of energy in light shade.

Hope this helps

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 09:05 »
agree with lettuce and salads.

i'm also trying leaks in my shady spot this year. i will report the results when they've finished.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 09:44 »
Mmmm just been reading this thread, maybe my pak choi wouldn't have bolted so quick if it had been more shady.  Only thing is, all my veg garden is in full sun!   That one needs thinking about!  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 12:39 »
Before I made a proper veg garden, I planted some caulis in dappled shade under an old apple tree and they did great. If I plant brassicas in full sun, I find they are more liable to "blow" - by that I mean the heads go to seed quickly, and imagine that would apply to lettuce going to seed too. As for leeks, some of mine can be partly-shaded during midday depending in what bed and where I put them, but can't just remember if I had a harvest problem with that. This year some of mine will be in the shade so will see how it goes.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

3759allen

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 14:50 »
it's easier to make shade than it is sun.

3759allen

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 14:52 »
Before I made a proper veg garden, I planted some caulis in dappled shade under an old apple tree and they did great. If I plant brassicas in full sun, I find they are more liable to "blow" - by that I mean the heads go to seed quickly, and imagine that would apply to lettuce going to seed too. As for leeks, some of mine can be partly-shaded during midday depending in what bed and where I put them, but can't just remember if I had a harvest problem with that. This year some of mine will be in the shade so will see how it goes.

i think i'll be doing the same for my cauliflower next year or not bother until later in the year.

xx
What grows best in shady areas?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2008, 11:39
by Kagganz
xx
Veggies for shady areas

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 11:23
by Springlands
xx
how shady is too shady for comfrey ?

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 18:52
by richrua
xx
shaded areas?

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 16:37
by madcat

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 35 queries.