Tomato problem

• 5 Replies

peskypixie

Tomato problem
« on: May 30, 2010, 21:59 »
Hi all. I seem to have a problem with my polytunnel toms this year. I raised gardeners delight and money maker as normal in the propogator and planted them into the polytunnel around late March - they were normal happy healthy plants. Within the the last two weeks the leaves have started rolling, and are slightly yellowish BUT what worries me is that they are really stunted, are impossible to pinch out as they have become really dense and tangled at the tops (still only about 2 foot high) and seem to have no 'normal' leaders. stems are becoming thick and woody. Most do have flowers on but I am not hopeful that the fruit will come to anything.

The plum tomatoes next to them are all fine and there are no signs of pests or fungal growth.  What do we think?? Seen it before? Could it be Vertucillum wilt - I thought that these two varieties were resistant to it though? Anyway any advice gratefully received. Thanks. :ohmy: 

fatcat1955

Re: Tomato problem
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 22:45 »
Hi, had the same problem. Placed the toms on the polytunnel floor to shade them and they have recovered. I believe it was due to the hot days cold nights we had recently.
                              Good luck
                                 Garry

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 23:03 »
Mine outside did the leaf curling trick but I noticed they uncurled at night.
Too hot!!

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 01:17 »
When you say: 'and planted them into the polytunnel' am I right to assume you're talking straight into the ground or are they in pots or growbags?

If they're in the ground, was that area manured differently from where your plum toms are perhaps?

If they're in pots or growbags, what exactly is the growing medium?

peskypixie

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 21:17 »
Hi sorry been flat out last few days. They are in raised beds within tunnel and are growing in a mixture of our own compost, bit of chicken manure and soil. The beds were all made at the same time although last year the toms were in pots with compost and horse manure. They seem to be throwing out a few flowering stems now but still got the wierd tangled growth at the top. Most odd. :blink:

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 22:13 »
is chicken manure too fresh, too strong etc
R

xx
tomato problem

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 10:54
by surbie100
xx
Tomato problem

Started by kingston boy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 17:06
by Munchkin
clip
Tomato Problem

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 20, 2021, 07:51
by greenhead
xx
tomato problem

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 06, 2019, 16:36
by hiccup

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 28 queries.