Query with seedlings

• 2 Replies

Novice but totally hooked

• Experienced Member
Query with seedlings
« on: March 21, 2009, 17:56 »
This year I'm determined to be organised and get seedlings going early.  I've now got sweet pea seedlings coming up very nicely in pots on a window sill.  My question is what do I do now?

Obviously I can't put them out yet but I don't want them to get tall and spindley, I want them to 'fill out' and become sturdy so that I can start to harden them off in a few weeks prior to planting.  Leaving them where they are will just encourage them to become taller as they grown towards the light.

How do I stop them getting to be 2 feet tall but with no strength to them?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Query with seedlings
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 18:31 »
Ive pinched mine out to about 3 inch per plant and made sure they have enough light in the unheated GH and water sparingly.

Not sure if it will work,as never tried before but planted mine last year and they are looking healthy and well, They do romp on so keep an eye on them
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Stree

Re: Query with seedlings
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 19:00 »
Just planted out my sweetpeas today. They are at tallest perhaps 7 inches, almost full size leaves at the top, very sturdy and strong.
They have been out in a cold frame since January, lid closed at night until mid February when the lid was left wide open all the time.
These were sown  1st October, unheated greenhouse.

Also have two other lots coming on, one lot sown 1st Feb  another lot 1st March. Both started in unheated greenhouse and both out in the coldframe a week after first pair of leaves.All very strong and healthy.
Sweet peas are tough plants.

question
Query

Started by spingle on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2013, 17:26
by ghost61
xx
Ivy query

Started by granjan on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 09:05
by granjan
xx
Hydrangea query...

Started by Growster... on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 31, 2021, 14:32
by Growster...
xx
Flower Query

Started by digital_biscuit on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post September 13, 2007, 11:56
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 32 queries.