Brambles and bindweed ....and now ground-elder

• 20 Replies

poultrygeist

Re: Brambles and bindweed ....and now ground-elder
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 09:24 »
Where it is, is right by the pond where the ducks sit so I think weedkiller will have to wait until they've gone, which may be too late in the season, but I can certainly exfoliate and try digging it up in big clumps. If I lift each lump into the barrow, I can tease in there and seive the soil back for replacement once I know it's clean.
My thougths are to try and keep the foliage down bar a few leaves and blitz those later in the year, in the theory that all the sap will need to be taken down from those few leaves. Along with the nasty stuff.

Rob 8)

compostqueen

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 17:17 »
there is a plant which is reputed to help get rid of ground elder, apparently by root secretions. Don't know if it works but anything is worth a try I suppose

it's tagetes minuta supplied by Simpsons Seeds.  I have some which I could send you if you pm me your address

David.

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 20:39 »
I've watched others rotorvate the ground, then plant potatoes to get rid of bindweed - well they "clean up the ground don't they"? - then wathed their crop getting swamped with bindweed - so much for loosening the soil to get rid of it.

Where I suspect bindweed will be a problem I've always rotorvated several times in hot weather, but as this method is not as effective as with couch grass, I've gone on to thickly mulch with newspaper covered with heavy duty black polythene dpm (the dpm lets light through).

Then if you plant through it choose a crop like cucumbers, marrows, etc., so only a few perforations around the perimeter will be required (with the crops growing into the middle of the mulch).

And repeat cultivating in hot weather, etc. the following year will gradually decrease the bindweed without using chemicals.

poultrygeist

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 21:29 »
I'll have to pop a photo up tomorrow so you can see the extent of it and teh potential probs involved. It's spreading around the pond as well i noticed this evening. I can see me just undermining it and packing a load of semtex under it. It won't kill it but it'll at least send it a couple of hundred yards from my garden  :mad: :D
(NB. I don't condone the use of explosives for weed control nor spreading pernicious weeds to neighbouring gardens).

Rob 8)

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 21:44 »
I had someone ask me if I wanted to use a rotovator after I'd just said I had bindweed, I looked at them as if they were nuts ha ha

I do have a tip I read in several books now.  All the bindweed roots that you collect just chuck em in a bucket of water and cover with some dark and heavy for a couple of weeks until they stink and use the liquid as a fertiliser and the roots are so definitely dead you can stick them on the compost heap.

Your revenge on this weed is that when they're growing they nick all the nutrients etc out of the ground and so what you rot down is returned in your bindweed brew!
Teen

poultrygeist

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 21:50 »
I'm donating them all to the council at the tip !  :D

I haven't touched the ground-elder yet.  :blink:

Rob 8)

xx
Bindweed and brambles everywhere :/

Started by Carla on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 19:05
by pigeonpie
xx
Ground Elder

Started by casper on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 15:14
by casper
xx
Ground Elder

Started by val3147 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 14:15
by Stripey_cat
xx
Ground elder

Started by lowermeadow on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2019, 16:33
by lowermeadow

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 27 queries.