1000 litre (200 hundred gallons) plastic tank manure storage

• 5 Replies

Biff

Hi, I have a plastic tank spare and am going to store manure in it. Some thoughts and advice on best way forward would be welcome.

I thought to line inside with black plastic, or fleece, or cardboard to darken and some holes in bottom, cover with something and leave it until required.

Manure to be dumped alongside for ease of filling tank.

To remove manure I thought dig down from top.

Sounds simple and that's nice!

Thanks in anticipation.

mobilekat

My only comment would be that its quite awkward digging down into a container - ask any one who has turned their compost in a darlek!

I would use the water tank for water, and use a few old pallets to make a cage for the manure.
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

greenun

Not enough contact with the earth. I would fill it with rainwater, add liquid seaweed fertiliser and fish fertiliser and worm liquid. Stick a tap in the bottom and bucket it on the garden once a fortnight. (and probably a can of molasses).

greenun

A good compost bin would be to build a high bottomless wooden structure with a slide up door at the bottom.. Stick the compostables (how do you spell that) in the top and shovel it from the bottom. If it's big enough you can bung in all your paper and cardboard.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
I would say that if someone is going to dump manure for you, then pick your spot, get it dumped on the spot and cover it with a tarp. Don't see the point of moving it again into a container then moving it again out of the container when you need it. Lots of work! use the container for water, as others have said - you will need it if there is to be hosepipe bans every time we have a few dry days  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

savbo

we inherited a nice pile of manure with the new plot but have a lot of grass and horsetail growing through the thinner parts, so I'm going to put some fabric under the next lot we get, or maybe stick it in a builders bag...

xx
Plastic storage box for seeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 23, 2019, 13:43
by Goosegirl
xx
Manure compost storage

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 20, 2018, 08:21
by ilan
xx
Manure in plastic bags

Started by Libby on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 19:16
by Libby
xx
2 Litre Sub-Irrigated Planters

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 17:50
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 29 queries.