Soft shell eggs

• 1 Replies

Ouroldworkshop

Soft shell eggs
« on: May 13, 2024, 20:50 »
Hello, this has been asked a lot but I wanted to check what your thoughts are on a 25 week old hen (Lena) laying soft eggs overnight. she started laying normal eggs about 4 weeks ago. She then became egg bound and we had to help her by clearing out a broken egg from her oviduct. She seemed to recover well, had a few days off laying and then laid normally for a few days. She's now had a few days of no eggs in the day, looking uncomfortable in the evenings and laying one or 2 soft eggs overnight. She's rushing out in the mornings and seems to be alert, eating and drinking well. We've got 3 other similar aged girls and they are laying perfect eggs with hard shells. I'm adding calcium to their water and they have oyster shell grit available at all times. They free range for a couple of hours a day. I'm worried that Lena has some genetic problem that is going to make her ill eventually. 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Soft shell eggs
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 07:22 »
Hens new to laying can have a few ups and downs, but if their diet is good there is not much more you can do. 

Your hen has laid normal eggs, so I would wait and see.  If they only ever lay soft shells that is more likely to continue, but doesn’t necessarily make them ill.  If there is a problem internally that is probably something in the process of forming an egg, rather than some genetic illness.  The main issues are becoming egg bound or having a prolapse.  You can help her with the first as you have already done.  Prolapses are more serious but cross that bridge if you get to it.  Maybe read up on them so you know what to look for.

xx
soft shell eggs

Started by josh5357 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 20:24
by josh5357
xx
Soft shell eggs

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 20:31
by ANHBUC
xx
Soft shell and no eggs

Started by tomgood99 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 11:48
by tomgood99
xx
soft shell eggs

Started by happy clucker 1951 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2009, 20:42
by Spacey

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 33 queries.