Not a good year for quality olive oil...

• 13 Replies

Growster...

Not a good year for quality olive oil...
« on: August 14, 2016, 20:07 »
Have you noticed how all the shelves of olive oil from all over the world, are now down to just some own-brand oil?

We are huge fans of bruschetta, and rely on a deep, sharp oil to make a difference, but we could only find one sort - other than a Twongos yellow bottle, and it cost us a shade under £20 for a litre, which is a bit of a gulp and off the record! (we don't use loads to be fair...)

I read that the olive harvest last year was dire, so it's going to be like this for several months now, while the olive oil merchants sell only local, but the big suppliers still have contracts to fulfil!

Bit like growing beans really - only different;0)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Not a good year for quality olive oil...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 20:33 »
£20 for a litre?  :ohmy: what brand did you get for that price, Growster?

I thought it was the winter 2014 harvest that was the bad one, winter 2015 harvest was certainly ok in Greece.

Might be worth trying the Greek extra virgin that Trashco sells, it quite peppery if that is what you like.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 20:44 »
£20 for a litre?  :ohmy: what brand did you get for that price, Growster?

I thought it was the winter 2014 harvest that was the bad one, winter 2015 harvest was certainly ok in Greece.

Might be worth trying the Greek extra virgin that Trashco sells, it quite peppery if that is what you like.

We were making a 'treat' trip to Hartley Dyke, near here, Mums.

They're lovely people there, but it's damn expensive, so we only go there occasionally!

Anyhow, we bit the bullet, and thought of England...

Like your idea of the Greek oil, and we're going to the big store in Hastings soon, so will stock up!

Sorry, forgot to say what the brand was!

Seggiano from Tuscany!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 20:46 by Growster... »

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 20:50 »
I think that thr rapeseed is filling in the gaps theres loads of that but the flavours not there .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 21:06 »
I think that thr rapeseed is filling in the gaps theres loads of that but the flavours not there .
chrissie b

We're looking closely at this, Chrissie.

We wanted olive oil to be a staple some years ago, after getting fed up with corn oil, but it ain't all there nowadays!

Our Twongos has just a few ft of olive oil bottles at the moment. There used to be yards of bottles!

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 21:16 »
Have a look in M& S they have some good stuff, we'll have done in the past,in fact I was given a tootle of theirs only yesterday & some balsamic vinegar. I like Carluccios for a good oil too, luckily we have one in Leicester.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 21:25 »
Have a look in M& S they have some good stuff, we'll have done in the past,in fact I was given a tootle of theirs only yesterday & some balsamic vinegar. I like Carluccios for a good oil too, luckily we have one in Leicester.

Interesting, Snowy!

I suppose that all the 'magnificent' stuff has gone to local businesses, and suppliers, and the rest will eventually filter out to the plebs...

The guys who have contracts with the supermarkets will have to fulfil their quotas, so we'll always have enough of the cheapo stuff, but the market is different now, and so be it - 'that's the way aaaaah haaaah...' I like it...;0)

(We're in T. Wells soon, will try Carluccios)!

DanielCoffey

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 22:12 »
If you are passing Valvona and Crolla, you could pick up the good stuff though I agree you will be charged a fair penny for it.

At the moment we have been using Napolina EV from Sainsburys. If you wait (and wait) you can catch the usual £6.50/L down to £4.25.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 07:20 »
I don't recognise that name, Daniel, but then I'm really a humble Growster, so will find out about them..;0)

I did manage to get a litre of Il Casolare a month back, and it was 'on offer' too, (probably old stock) but as the bruschetta season is closing, I may wait now until next year!

We always infuse our own chilli and garlic oil in cheapo Twongos oil, and have several litres on the go now, so we're not short really. The price of a tiddly little bottle of these in the shops is ridiculous!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 18:15 »

We're off to Paxos first wek in September, any thoughts on which brand to bring back (i.e a gallon can) ? ?

Ay mumofstig ?  Cheers,  Tony. :)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 10:24 »
This thread is making me realise I need a trip to Italy again.   Just finished the last of the tin we bought in a farmer's market in Lecce in Puglia.   It was some olive oil too. 

I have bought a bottle of Puglian oil from Waitrose which isn't bad at all.  It is called Terre de San Vito.  £10 a litre though....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:29 by AnneB »

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 19:55 »
This thread is making me realise I need a trip to Italy again.   Just finished the last of the tin we bought in a farmer's market in Lecce in Puglia.   It was some olive oil too. 

I have bought a bottle of Puglian oil from Waitrose which isn't bad at all.  It is called Terre de San Vito.  £10 a litre though....

Waitrose is coming to our village in a couple of weeks, Anne!

We'll be there on opening day, as will half the village no doubt, and we'll check the olive oil as you suggest!

I still look at that expensive bottle on the work top and have a sort of shudder, then feel a bit faint, then have to go online and check the bank balance, then say "'phew', got away with it this time..:;0)

lettice

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 10:18 »
You really ought to be trying cold pressed rapeseed oil if you are using it on pizzas, focaccia. bruschetta or as a dressing.
The Waitrose Leckford Estate own brand of cold pressed is excellent and has a great flavour.

Have lately been using the supermarket vegetable oils that say 100% rapeseed oil in my general breadmaking as the fat. Did use Olivio as my staple there, but that has gone up in price recently and the rapeseed works very well.
Do try using that same vegetable (100% rapeseed) for general cooking, makes great roasties and deep fat fryer chips.
If you fry, like  eggs, sitrfrys or curries etc we use the 100% rapeseed veg oil but add a small teaspoon of leftover roast meat fat like dripping on to add a bit of extra flavour.

A good website all about rapeseed is http://www.rapeseedoilbenefits.com/
Look at the FAQ and Guides.

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 19:39 »
That's a wise comment, Lettice, and we really should listen to people like you.

I have to admit that I cannot remember having our chips done in rapeseed oil, so a negotiation with Mrs Growster is imminent..;0)

xx
Wanted, A good quality baking tray.

Started by 8doubles on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post September 30, 2012, 10:50
by GrannieAnnie
xx
olive oil

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post November 02, 2010, 23:07
by mumofstig
xx
olive bread

Started by Aidy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 23:02
by cawdor2001
xx
swedes, good god yeah, what are they good for?

Started by Deano27 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post December 01, 2008, 17:43
by Old Whiskers

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 32 queries.