olive oil

• 6 Replies

Elcie

olive oil
« on: November 02, 2010, 15:37 »
I really like Jamie Oliver (I know that he isn't to everyone's taste!) and have been watching his 30 minute meal ideas some of which look really tasty.  My biggest problem though is that he seems to put so much olive oil on everything.  Is this necessary?  I am on a healthy eating plan (yes ok a diet!) and would like to have a go but the oil is putting me off.  When I fry stuff at the moment I use one of the Frylight products but I am assuming that won't taste quite the same sprayed over a salad for example!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: olive oil
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 15:42 »
He seems to use olive oil as a garnish quite a lot from what I can see, so I don't think its necessary to use that much if you don't want to even though olive oil is very good for you. :) Rapeseed or sunflower are lighter alternatives which would do just as good a job, although I have to admit to being an olive oil fiend as I love the flavour! Your oil spray is a good idea to minimise usage.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 15:50 »
I agree that Jamie is a bit lavish with his oil. You don't have to add that much, only enough to keep food from sticking to pans. Olive oil is a dieter's choice as it has no cholesterol or bad fats, but you still need to watch quantity. Olive oil spray for salads is a good choice; I can buy them ready to go at stores here and assume they're available in the UK. And if possible, blot cooked meats on paper towels to absorb excess oils.

Another choice for grilling meats is to go with the small personal grills which are often teflon coated. When the coating seems to lose it's non-stick bit, you can do a light olive oil spray there.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 15:52 »
I agree that Jamie seems to use an awful lot, but then Italians do, and that was his training. It does add a lot of flavour and richness, and yes, it is good for you, but on a calorie controlled diet, maybe not, as all oils are high in calories. There is no reason you can't do the recipes your way, but if bread and such is dried and doused in oil, it would be better to use fresh bread you can eat without a dressing. All this kind of thrown together food is open to interperatation, you do what suits you.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 16:27 »
You can buy spray olive oils here in the uk..........or buy a mister and fill with your own oil ;)

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 22:42 »
Thanks for all the replies.  I have just looked at my spray that I use for cooking, and it is Frylight extra virgin olive oil spray.  Is this ok to use in the same way he does when adding it to salads and breads etc as a garnish?  I didn't think it would  be the same, or near enough.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 23:07 »
That'll be perfect............you'll just get a misting ;)

If you are dressing salads you probably won't need as much lemon/vinegar, because without the oil to balance it the dressing would be to sharp I think.

xx
olive bread

Started by Aidy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 23:02
by cawdor2001
xx
Not a good year for quality olive oil...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post September 13, 2016, 19:39
by Growster...

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 29 queries.