Pheasants are eating me chickens food!

• 3 Replies

RobH

Pheasants are eating me chickens food!
« on: March 19, 2010, 09:12 »
Hi all, I have noticed that the local pheasants have started to join my chicken at their feeders (layer pellets).  Whilst I don’t mind as especially the male birds look very nice I’m worried about any knock on effects. The main thing I am concermed about is decease but also the numbers increasing and them eating me out of house and home!
Does anyone else have this problem?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Pheasants are eating me chickens food!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:57 »
I have collard doves, blackbirds. robins, infact loads of different birds eating mine. Yes wild birds do carry diseases so I have tried to place my feeders undercover (my chickens all free range) and this has stopped most of them except the blackbirds.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:31 »
Hi RobH, we don't have chickens but we do have a problem with pheasants. They come in after the bird food we put out and are becoming a real nuisance. They have taken a liking to my crocus flower heads and have destroyed most of them. We have bought a catapult and have trained our dog to chase them but we can't do anything else because they belong to our landlords and shooting season is over. I would love to find a permanent solution but the garden is too big to fence off.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

thebumbles

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 19:23 »
Hi

I too have this problem.  My hens have their enclosed run and have their brekkie in there, then around mid morning I let them out to free range.  Within 15 mins or so, the wild birds turn up, including the pheasants, jackdaws- who finishes off the brekkie in their run!  I was wondering how to deal with this problem, because you can't close the door to run., as they  go in to lay whenever they need to. I suppose all we can do is take up the food, but was told to let the girls have access to layers all day.  It is a problem and a disease risk!  Was thinking of making the door to run much smaller, like pop hole size, but can the pheasants get through still?
Any ideas?

xx
Chickens and Pheasants

Started by addy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 21:09
by ANHBUC
xx
somethings eating the food ??

Started by hen maiden on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 03, 2011, 12:47
by Lastcast
xx
Pecking at food but not actually eating... any advice please?

Started by Sarah Mitchell on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 13:47
by joyfull
xx
*sigh* my big girls are eating the growers food...

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 15:15
by Casey76

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 36 queries.