broccoli help!

• 10 Replies

wales1000

broccoli help!
« on: June 24, 2009, 19:13 »
Hi, sorry I think I am being * stupid here.  This is our first year of growing veg, and I am not sure what is happening to our brocilli!  I would be most grateful if someone could please tell me what I am supposed to do!

the first picture is of a brocilli growing which has grown flowers and the head has spread outwards and the second one is the head with shoots growing off it.  Could someone please tell me whether I am supposed to have cut off the main head by now, so the rest could grow or whether I have totally messed this up?

thanks.
brocilli 1.JPG
brocilli 2.JPG
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 19:36 by Ice »

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: brocilli help!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 19:28 »
Did you get the seed with gyo mag by any chance.
Thanks
Kris

wales1000

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 19:33 »
no i didn't i got them from wilkos

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 19:34 »
They definately should have been cut earlier. What variety are they & how did you raise them?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 19:36 »
The first one looks a bit loose, like it's bolted a bit, but pick and eat what you can.
The second one is as it should be, pick the main head and eat it, and the smaller ones will develop a bit more before you eat them :)

wales1000

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 19:55 »
The first one looks a bit loose, like it's bolted a bit, but pick and eat what you can.
The second one is as it should be, pick the main head and eat it, and the smaller ones will develop a bit more before you eat them :)

so if i pick the main head then, then the rest should grow ok then should it?  sorry I am no good at this!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: broccoli help!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 20:30 »

so if i pick the main head then, then the rest should grow ok then should it?  sorry I am no good at this!
Yes, but after the main head you will only get small florets to pick, the ones you can already see growing in your picture. They will just get a little bit bigger, not much, just a little bit :)

wales1000

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 22:14 »

Yes, but after the main head you will only get small florets to pick, the ones you can already see growing in your picture. They will just get a little bit bigger, not much, just a little bit :)

I see, ok well thanks for your help :-) how is it when you buy brocilli in the shops the heads are really big, but these ones are so small?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 22:27 »
Did you plant sprouting broccoli? What you buy as broccoli in the shops is in fact calabrese.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 23:15 »
my broccoli has one medium/small head and lots of side shoots; can't remember the variety but it's not a sprouting type ::)

had some of the sprouts in a stir fry tonight and delicious they were too!  I defy anyone to take a blood test for iron after eating allotment grown broccoli - it would positively attract a magnet!!

seriously; mine has a small to medium sized head at the centre and lots of smaller 'branches' which are great for individual portions, but the one's you get in the shop have been fed chemical enhancers to become as big as they are!  they're not really as nature intended, whereas your GYO one's will be :happy:

Sue33

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 12:19 »

Generally with broccoli you get the main head, and then the shoots around the sides are the broccoli spears, try to pick them before you get any yellow showing  :) main head first then spears.......

xx
Broccoli

Started by jo.power on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 15, 2007, 19:09
by jo.power
xx
Broccoli

Started by Brutus on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 20:50
by Brutus
xx
What's my broccoli doing

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2007, 03:17
by WG.
xx
Broccoli

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 30, 2017, 17:52
by Pescador

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 30 queries.