Marans ?

• 3 Replies

BIG ZOOK

Marans ?
« on: November 09, 2012, 19:02 »
Hello. :).I have just been given 9 maran hens and an unrelated cockerel that were hatched in june 12. Do they have any special requirements for their up keep other than plenty food/water and a draught free run?They will be able to ,free range on an acre plot for about 3hrs a day as an extra to pelleted feed.I have had buff orpingtons on the site under the same conditions for the last 6 yrs untill they passed away due 2 old age.Sorry 4 what appears to be a daft question? but the wife treats every newcomer as a child...CHEERS.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Marans ?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 19:08 »
they are wonderful friendly birds and if you have a good strain you should get some lovely dark brown eggs. They don't need anything different from other hens  :).
What colour of Marans have you got?
Staffies are softer than you think.

BIG ZOOK

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 19:19 »
they are wonderful friendly birds and if you have a good strain you should get some lovely dark brown eggs. They don't need anything different from other hens  :).
What colour of Marans have you got?
The birds are grey/white .I was led to believe that the maran would put on excess weight if they were  slightly overfed on pellets     ,as apposed to adhoc feeding and plenty free ranging.Thank you.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 19:46 »
My eldest hen is a Cuckoo Marans - she has been a great broody. My hens have layers pellets available all day and they now free range for about 4 hours a day (whilst my youngest dog grew up a little they had to be confined in their large run) but she is no fatter than any of my other girls.

xx
Marans

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 19:59
by Geo
xx
How many Marans to a my coop!!!

Started by dusto on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 21:54
by dusto
xx
sexing marans

Started by betty on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 06, 2007, 13:39
by ssatt44
xx
Marans Egg Colour

Started by Prod on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 19:03
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 36 queries.