Perches

• 6 Replies

ness

• Experienced Member
Perches
« on: February 14, 2009, 21:52 »
Hello
I'm trying to get my girls to perch at night.  I know this isn't a necessity but they seem to enjoy perching in the day and it'd make them much easy to clean out.  But after many nights of putting them on the perch they still insist on sleeping on the floor.  I'm just wondering whether they need more light to see the perch.  They live in a large converted rabbit hutch and the perch is in the sleeping compartment of said hutch.  Is there anything else I can do to make the perch more appealing.
Cheers
Ness
Ps once on the perch they stay there all night.

sunshinemedic

Re: Perches
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 07:27 »
if you think they just can't see the perch, why don't you try shining a torch onto the perch around dusk and see if they will jump up on their own?

Charlwood1005

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 08:29 »
What size and shape is the perch?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:06 »
I wouldn't think lack of light is the problem myself.  some of our girls aren't keen on perching, but the others jump up there in the dark okay.  Like charlwood said, are the perches thick enough?  need to be about 2inches dia with slightly rounded off edges???

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:29 »
Hi    I had to put one of mine on the perch every night for 4 months then one day she just did it herself. she was the one that went broody and lost her fluffy bum feathers, I felt it was because she slept on the floor or in the nest so we started putting her on the perch.
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 12:40 »
Also, how much headroom is there above the perch and are there any draughts blowing on them if they perch ?

Rob

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 20:12 »
Thanks for all your replies - I will get measurements tomorrow.  It could be they haven't got enough head room.  The perch is a thick branch probably about 2 inches thick.  I may post a photo to see what you all think of the set up.

I have tried to get them to perch before but gave up when they insisted on sleeping on the floor.  I would like to succeed this time as I think it'll save on the bedding I have to provide to keep them cozy on the floor.  Plus I have this hairbrained notion it also helps them get out of their broody state quicker. ???

xx
How far apart should perches be?

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 18:08
by mad chicken
question
Perches

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 09:25
by ehs284
xx
Perches.

Started by gibbo on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 28, 2011, 19:31
by Lindeggs
xx
Perches

Started by rugbyman on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 22:33
by mpv1961

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 35 queries.