pecked polly ! HELP !

• 8 Replies

bellagirl

pecked polly ! HELP !
« on: December 23, 2010, 10:39 »
Seasons Greetings to You and Your Girls.

Hope someone can be kind enough to spare some advice at this busy time.  I have to start my shift soon. So I have made a quick fix to the problem.
I saw my moulting chicken being pecked in the run where her new feathers are coming through. Blood has been drawn. So I seperated her to the back of the run with chicken wire, so can all see each other. Not a practical long term solustion till her feathers grow. I do not have any spray at the moment as never had ANY probs like this, have got all recommended  chicken entertainment so just don't no what to do. Apart from the snow and cold, Christmas preparations and work I am stressed! Oh, and can they all sleep together tonight?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: pecked polly ! HELP !
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 10:45 »
you do need to disguise the redness so you should get some purple spray. If she is still bleeding and you have no wound powder then sprinkle on some cornflour. She should be ok to sleep with the others but remove her first thing again (if you can put her in with a friendly hen so she has a mate to bond with then this will be better), but keep her in full view and close to the others.
Staffies are softer than you think.

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 22:32 »
I certainly second all of Joyfulls comments. You could also try beak clips. They stop the other hens pecking but still allow them to eat or drink. I think it's unlikely you'll find them in a local pet or feed shop but order them on line. Good luck. Feathers once grown have no feeling but when 'in blood' as your bird is it can hurt.

bellagirl

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 12:57 »
thanks for the advice. I have ordered spray, while I am waiting for it to arrive I will keep her away for the others with a pal. Hoping  the feathers grow quickly in the mean time.

jackieand glenn

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 17:01 »
hi all, i have had the same problem for weeks now, my girl is seperated at the back of the run, wound healed at last so i put her back in. watched then for a while and all seemed well. 1 hour later i went out to find her pecked to bits again, bleeding, so shes back in on her own as both the hens pecked her. we found out the nasty ring leader and gave her away last week so thought we have solved our problem. we have no idea what to try anymore, they have loads to keep them busy but just seem to what to peck her to bits.
its heart breaking to see the poor girl.

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 17:12 »
have you tried beak clips?

jackieand glenn

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 17:03 »
hi, thats the only thing i havent tried. just been so busy up to Christmas to look for them, must look on line tonight to see. we need to buy another 2 hens in better weather and i dont want to go through all this again. i see you are going to try them, if so can you post on here if they work well. cheers me dears xxx

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 17:29 »
here are the details of the ones I bought:-

http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/products/info_apb.html

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 16:48 »
hi, thats the only thing i havent tried. just been so busy up to Christmas to look for them, must look on line tonight to see. we need to buy another 2 hens in better weather and i dont want to go through all this again. i see you are going to try them, if so can you post on here if they work well. cheers me dears xxx

Hi, posted elsewhere to say, I had a bully last summer who just would not leave 3 smaller hens alone. Ruled out all environmental possibilities as they've got a lovely big run, lots of perching logs, hanging string bag with greens etc, plus some free-range time in the garden. Tried isolating the bully for a bit to see if she'd lose her place in the pecking order - all to no avail.
I fitted a beak bit (from Dom Fowl Trust 6 for £1!) and it did indeed do the trick.
In the 6 weeks or so before it fell off the other chx realised she could still peck but not actually get hold of their feathers.  She's still aggressive for a hen I think but doesn't bully now, just pecks when there's treats to fight over.

xx
Polly is at it again

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2008, 07:38
by Jellyhead
xx
Poorly Polly - help.

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 09, 2007, 16:53
by Aunt Sally
xx
Hen pecked

Started by Pavlodge on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2014, 21:56
by barley
sad
hen pecked??

Started by cluckie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 18:23
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 30 queries.