weather hindering progress

• 23 Replies

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
weather hindering progress
« on: May 09, 2012, 19:40 »
I am an allotment newby and have registered on this site today, i have had my patch since feb, and to be honest the last four / five weeks nothing but rain especailly at weekends! anyone else frustrated?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: weather hindering progress
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 19:42 »
I think we all are, I know I've been moaning about the weather for weeks ( no change there then ::) )

RuthLG

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 19:57 »
Oh, I so know what you mean. Fortunately (kind of) I have been ill since we had that hot spell about 2 months ago, so that meant i couldnt get outside anyway, so felt less frustrated with being ill! I would have been so much worse to live with had the weather been good enough to be planting stuff  :blush:

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 20:17 »
me too. got a new plot. planted stuff out . it flooded. had to start again with another plot. Am still waiting for the water to go down enough on the old one for me to get everything transferred. my potatoes swam away.

but the last few days have been a lot better here in york and i've managed to get a lot done in the mornings before the rain arrives. so fingers crossed that better weather is on the horizon.

Babstreefern

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 20:36 »
Same here :(.  Have managed to get onion sets in, spuds and peas ;).  Have got loads in my conservatory, but am moving them to the greenhouse at the weekend :dry:.  Will also plant my parsnips while I'm at it :).  My OH has also been ill :(, went to London for a wedding on Friday, so had to go down on Thursday and came back Saturday, so that took most of my weekend :ohmy:.  So no matter what its doing this coming weekend, I'll be down there :D
Babs

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 20:42 »
the last four / five weeks nothing but rain especailly at weekends! anyone else frustrated?

Yup - heatwave in March, record rainfall in April, but to me that all indicates a wonderfully long, hot summer (have to say I'm not sure my medication is properly sorted out yet though!)  :wub:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

parttimer

• Experienced Member
  • Mousetrap!!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 21:24 »
the last four / five weeks nothing but rain especailly at weekends! anyone else frustrated?

Yup - heatwave in March, record rainfall in April, but to me that all indicates a wonderfully long, hot summer (have to say I'm not sure my medication is properly sorted out yet though!)  :wub:
I love your optomism  ;)
Yer Tiz!!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 21:28 »

I love your optomism  ;)

So does my doctor psychiatrist!  ::)  ::)

andyandyjohnson

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 23:19 »

Oh no. Another drought ridden summer.

Please tell me that you are lying. :)
Thanks

Andy

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 23:32 »
No doubt it will be a hot summer - rain will probably stop any minute here now that I have managed to finally hook up the water butt on the greenhouse......
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

allot2learn

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 23:37 »
I have just connected 4 butts to my greenhouse and they are filling as we speak. We are forecast rain for the next 24hrs but I'm not complaining as I think I will need the water. I went to a community meeting two weeks ago and the vicar told us we are in for a hot summer. Maybe his boss told him.............................. ???  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 01:37 »
Do-it-yourself watering makes it so much easier to keep up with the weeding.

All this free-to-air stuff we are receiving is sprinkled and sploshed about all over the place so the weeds get most of it and they are loving it. My extra 1/2 plot looks like the emerald isle rather than the clear open soil I had in mind planting up as the season went on.

Hot summer.... the butternut squash will love it  :) and I can put the water just on the crops with my trusty little big green watering can.

Presently down here we are discussing watercress as an alternative crop.  :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mrs mud

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 10:17 »
I'm wondering if I've moved to the windiest place on earth  :(

But we haven't had any frost and just a normal amount of rain so I'm happy  :)

"Potters always play dirty!"

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 10:25 »
Because it's been such a wet drought, I haven't been weeding and I now have the best crop of weeds ever! (are you picking up on the sarcasm?)  ;)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Agatha

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 12:19 »
Presently down here we are discussing watercress as an alternative crop.  :blink:

What about rice  :lol:

My veg patch is far too squelchy to plant/sow anything at the moment, but I can't really complain considering what the farmers are going through...the adjoining fields have been sown with £6,500 worth of seed which has all rotted, the fields are still underwater so they can't even resow.  :(
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

xx
progress

Started by R66VEY on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2008, 22:56
by Lee1978
xx
Progress at last!!

Started by Ruth Cross on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post November 22, 2007, 01:42
by SkipRat
xx
progress......

Started by janet12000 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 20:42
by Mitsy
xx
progress so far

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 10:03
by Celery

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 31 queries.