Help again please, duck gone missing!

• 5 Replies

flangey

Help again please, duck gone missing!
« on: June 07, 2010, 16:09 »
Hello, I need some help please.  I have a trio of Mini Appleyards which free range with my chucks around the garden (about half an acre), but, at the moment they seem to prefer my neighbours garden (not an issue, very good friends and neighbours).  For the last 3 weeks me and my neighbour go searching every day for the girls eggs, as I'm hoping to hatch some of my own, sometimes finding them, but nine times out of ten, not finding them at all.  The last few days, one of my girls has been staying away longer and longer and I still dont know where she's hiding but she is obviously broody. Anyway, she's now been missing over 12 hours and i'm getting a bit worried, we havn't found any eggs for over a week!  Sorry been burbling on, basically is it likely that she's nesting and won't get off her eggs until she's hungry/thirsty?  She's in a secure place, but obviously not in at night, but we've run out of ideas as where she could be! Any advice would help.  :(

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Help again please, duck gone missing!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 18:28 »
Not much you can do if you can find her! They do tend to pop off the nest every day when broody but they often need a bit of a nudge. The main worry I would have is predators.

Think you just have to keep looking and if you can't find her, hope she rocks up in 28 days with ducklings!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

flangey

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 18:47 »
Thanks Kate, they're such a worry! I'm going to keep looking, I'm hoping she'll stay safe, my neighbours garden is pretty secure, but you never know! We'll keep the search team going!

RobH

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 19:49 »
Hi, I have a similar from with one of my hens at the moment. She and her mates have perfect nice coop but she has taken to roosting or nest somewhere I can't find her, just showing her face now and again to eat. I would have through with this bad weather we've been having she'd have made her way back to the coop. The sad thing is if she is nesting she is wasting her time as we don't have a cock, just the odd malepheasant ;-)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 19:57 »
I have two like this, one dissapeared a year ago for a few days and now this year 2 have gone on walkabouts - no feathers, no note, nothing just moved out. Perhaps they will come back with babies in tow in 2 1/2 weeks time  ::)  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

flangey

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 21:49 »
Hi all, I know it doesn't help you, but it helps me to know that I'm not alone! I can't help but worry.  I suppose it's nature and we should let them do what comes naturally, but I get so attached.  Never mind, here's hoping they all come back safe and sound with little babies in tow (apart from RobH who will just get his hen back).  I'll keep you all posted  :(

xx
1 aylesbury duck with 1 runner duck

Started by thedalaisheep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:29
by joyfull
xx
2 of my egs are missing !

Started by eggs on legs on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2007, 12:43
by John
xx
Hen gone missing at night

Started by prideparkpaddy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 22:33
by Junie
xx
Alice is missing

Started by Tigerwren on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 17:33
by jinty1911

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 33 queries.