Shallots from shop bought

• 5 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
Shallots from shop bought
« on: December 24, 2016, 20:41 »
I haven't planted any shallots yet and I wondered whether it would be ok to use shop bought shallot. Lidl are selling shallots for 19p per bag. I was thinking about putting some in compost in the greenhouse. Is this likely to be successful. Thanks and a Happy Christmas.

Paul Plots

Re: Shallots from shop bought
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 21:51 »
Is it worth it?

I expect they would germinate but whether they go on to produce a worthwhile crop in months to come is another matter. Shallots in the shops may have been grown abroad in a warmer climate and not do well here. Or they be the type that are planted in autumn so there again a possible problem.

Someone else might be better able to advise you but......

I'm heading to our local nursery. It's a family run place and they buy in for local allotment holders and growers so their shallots and onion bulbs are not pre-packed and expensive.

Keep an eye open in BandCue as shallots aren't too dear. Occasionally £land, Morrisons and Wilkos sell shallots for spring planting.

On the other hand - if you do decide to go ahead it'd be great to know how you get on.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 23:49 »
LIKE ONIONS      THEY WILL KNOW ITS THERE SECOND YEAR AN WILL GO TO SEED

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 07:16 »
LIKE ONIONS      THEY WILL KNOW ITS THERE SECOND YEAR AN WILL GO TO SEED

I don't really follow that - even from a nursery it will be a shallots second year, but as Paul says, it's not worth it. You don't know the shallot's history, far better to get some from a reputable nursery, they don't cost the earth. What price failure?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 16:22 »
If these are proper shallots then it is worth doing. Plant them straight in the ground any time between now and the Spring.

Proper shallots are grown from sets and some of the smaller ones are saved for sets the next year.

However, if they have been grown from seed (really just small onions)they will go to seed in their second year.

If you look carefully you can tell the difference. Shallots from seed will have a neat root area just like an onion. Proper shallots will have a scar at the bottom where they have been broken away from the other shallots in the cluster.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 18:10 »
I have a tray of harvested shallots in storage in the garage. I could put some aside for planting rather than eat them. Not enough for planting & eating as we've eaten loads.

So.... we will eat the ones I have grown and I will buy another lot to plant for next year's crop.

It is a good financial return. You get many more at harvest time than you plant. Can't wrong. I also get to try out different varieties each year and the fun of caring for them and seeing them grow.

Off to the nursery early in the New Year - something to look forward to.

question
shop-bought compost

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2014, 01:28
by Paul Plots
xx
Can shop bought compost go off?

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 07:57
by fatcat1955
xx
question - using shop-bought spuds

Started by mike1987 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 23:03
by andy135
xx
Shop bought potted basil! help!!

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 08:35
by violet61

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 28 queries.