clay

• 14 Replies

shed head

• Experienced Member
clay
« on: March 17, 2013, 07:22 »
Hello All

Will chicken manure pellets help break up clay soil?

Thanks

Azazello

• Experienced Member
Re: clay
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 07:28 »
I don't think so, though I may be wrong.

Something like sand, manure and/or gypsum would be more the thing.

Some good info here perhaps,

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=620

shed head

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 07:32 »
Thanks Azazello

Didnt think so really....just hoping for an easy cure :)

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 08:41 »
You need plenty of compost or plenty of manuar with bedding mixed in to break up clay soil, its not an over night fix either, it will take a good few years to make a real difference.

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:46 »
Thanks Azazello

Didnt think so really....just hoping for an easy cure :)

I don't think there are any, I'm sad to say!

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:13 »
my plot was very heavy clay soil i found out once id cleared it (only had it approx 20mths )i covered areas for upto a year to kill off surface grass and then dug out weeds as best i could, then layed a very thick covering of manure on top then covered that as well for about 3mths, then uncovered and forked and turned it all over then left for the frost to break, up last week i raked over the first of my large beds i done like this and was amazed at how well it broke up and now looks superb(well to me it does)  ill take a couple pics later ive a few beds still to be raked over and the one that i raked too so you can see the before after,like people say its a long job but as i was told youre here for all your life so take your time. :)

Christine

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 12:13 »
From experience - manure, compost, manure, compost, sharp grit for drainage, manure, compost and much use of spare and fork. You will be fit when you have good soil.

I'm a lot fitter than I was when working after a few years chatting to a clay based allotment.  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 12:31 »
You will be fit when you have good soil.

I'm a lot fitter than I was when working after a few years chatting to a clay based allotment. 

Yes, I found the regular digging very good for me and my plot, when I had a clay one years ago  :D

Eileen M

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 10:12 »
Hello All

Will chicken manure pellets help break up clay soil?

Thanks

Hi shed head

We used to grow veg on clay.  We found that adding lots of compost at digging time helped.  Also when planting seeds direct, we used to run a line of compost along the soil & seed in that rather than directly in the clay soil.  On the plus side, clay holds lots of nutrients so you should do fine. Happy planting  :)

Eileen
Love my husband, my animals & my garden!

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 17:31 »
my plot was very heavy clay soil i found out once id cleared it (only had it approx 20mths )i covered areas for upto a year to kill off surface grass and then dug out weeds as best i could, then layed a very thick covering of manure on top then covered that as well for about 3mths, then uncovered and forked and turned it all over then left for the frost to break, up last week i raked over the first of my large beds i done like this and was amazed at how well it broke up and now looks superb(well to me it does)  ill take a couple pics later ive a few beds still to be raked over and the one that i raked too so you can see the before after,like people say its a long job but as i was told youre here for all your life so take your time. :)
well hope this works this is after first fork then left for frost

this was after frost and light fork and turn

and this is after a raking to break up the lumps and try level out i p-lan to rake this again before planting

like said before its a long job but your here for  along time,just a quick pic of how my allotment was

scattygirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 17:38 »
So there's hope for my plot yet !!!  My plot also had shoulder high weeds.  I took it over last August so this is my first year of planting.  I found an old compost heap behind the shed, covered over with bramble !!  I can use some to put in trenches before the seeds.

photos removed from quote

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 19:13 by mumofstig »

shed head

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 18:32 »
wow...good work skatty & thanks everyone for your replies.
so i guess slinging in chicken pellets wont help much :(

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 19:00 »
perhaps it will along with a lot of hard work  ;) best to grow potatoes this year  and as you earth up keep adding more and more organic material  then when you did up any crop you dig it in . As to grow you need to aim for a good depth of soil 12-18 ins it may be worth thinking of raised beds  to give you a bit of height and depth and drainage .
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 10:28 »
I also have quite clay like soil but have made some raised beds and chucked in compost along with well rotted horse muck to try and improve, its my first year so will keep my fingers crossed

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 13:15 »
Potatoes do a great job of helping you to cultivate the soil as do plants with strong roots systems like leeks, celeriac, and onions.   I make as much compost as I possibly can, I use bonfire ash, sand, all of which help heavy clays soils.  As you harvest successive crops, adding more of the above materials, as you plant your veg, you will find that with each harvest your soil is improved. As long as you keep adding improving materials as you plant and harvest you will quickly find its quality getting better

I don't dig at all but the action of veg putting down roots, moles, worms, frost all help with the process.  A quick fix is a bit of a pipe dream, sorry to say  :)

xx
Is it clay? (plus clay test results)

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 07:52
by Fisherman
xx
i need help with clay...heavy clay

Started by cindieloo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 09:58
by woodburner
xx
clay ?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 19, 2010, 18:42
by zazen999
xx
Clay

Started by MuddyDoris on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 11:42
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 35 queries.