Clearing the lands

• 13 Replies

The Singing Gardener

Clearing the lands
« on: January 12, 2008, 16:52 »
I've got a new allotment site in South London. I've started to turn the soil over removing the weeds as I go. I've done the first quarter but am finding it difficult due to health reasons (I've got M.E.). I'm afraid that time will go so quickly that it will be April before I can blink.

I was thinking about getting someone else to do the digging and am willing to pay them for this. At the moment there is just grass which I've strimmed down to ground level so it's just a case of turning the soil and removing weeds.

Has anyone else paid for someone to clear there land? What sort of price would you offer? Can anyone see any problems with this method other than spending money.

Babycat

• Experienced Member
hello
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 16:58 »
My plot got out of hand as I was pregnant last year and then got kinda busy  :shock:

Our council used to offer a harrowing service but only does now for new plots but they gave me the number of the guy and he came and did my plot with a massive tractor thingy - it is like an onion bed now.  I paid 100 pounds.

I weedkillered all the krap before last autumn and by the time I get to sowing the soil will be nice and ready.

If you cant do that, get a friend to strimmer it down and cover it up?

x Gina
"This too shall pass"  King Solomon

sweet nasturtium

Clearing the lands
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 17:17 »
You can hire a rotovator for less than £100 and if you're not strong enough, get a friend to help you with it.

gobs

Clearing the lands
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 17:22 »
A lot of people do tidy other's garden for a bit of extra money, would be lot cheaper. Do you know anyone with a 'gardener'?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

van connick

• Experienced Member
  • Location: on a mountainside in south Wales. north of Pontypridd, west of Merthyr Tydfil.
Clearing the lands
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 05:52 »
why not try a barter system?
they dig over your plot and in return they can grow some veg for themselves on your plot..... :lol:

Farmer Matty

Clearing the lands
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 11:39 »
Hey (its my 1st time on this site).

I hired a rotovator and paid £40 + fuel for a weekend. I turned it 3 times (the 1st was slow as i had some think roots under the ground and had to keep the revs down) It was a 8HP and done a great job. You will need someone to help you as i JUST managed but i had a couple others who helped me too. I just got relavtives involved to help in return for some free, fresh veg.

I strimmed all the weeds 1st, then  turned and picked them out. But i wouldn't reccoemd strimming weeds as alot of them just turn in and its a battle!

GOOD LUCK!

WG.

Clearing the lands
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 12:50 »
Hi Farmer Matty - why not pop into the Welcome Forum and introduce yourself properly. :D   Welcome from me.

moz

Clearing the lands
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 12:27 »
I pay an old guy on our site £10 to turn the ground over with his rotovator and the plot is 83ftx28ft. Ive just put some roundup down to clear the site and will stick a note on his shed door in about 3 weeks time.

Maybe there is someone on your site with a rotovator who doesnt mind a bit of extra cash, especially if they are bringing the rotovator up to the plot in the next few weeks to do there own.

Whatever you do, make sure to try to tackle some of the weeds before the rotovator chops them up and digs them back in for you, ready for a summer weedfest! Im not keen on roundup, but once I get the weeds under control I will hopefully have time to be a bit more organic.

cheers,
Moz

The Singing Gardener

Cheap
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 13:21 »
£10 that's cheap. On my last plot the going rate was £80. I've been told to avoid the rotovator because it's covered with grass and apparently it would be worse in the long run.

Has anyone else cleared a grass covered allotment with a rotovator - does it create problems later?

splodger

Clearing the lands
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 13:35 »
oh boy - ood luck with that 1 - no wonder you want some help  :shock:

Sally A

Clearing the lands
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 13:43 »
Our back garden was a bit like that. Had to hand dig & pick axe in places. shook as much of the grass roots out as possible, then rotovated.  It tries to grow back, but on a (fairly) manageable scale.

Not forgetting last years grass seed is probably waiting to spring up :(

GreenOwl

Clearing the lands
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 14:55 »
That's interesting.  When (!) we get our allotment my OH wants to borrow a rotavator off his mate.  I believe its currently grassland (brand new site).  

Probably a good thing I got a good quality hoe for Christmas because I don't think I'll get him to change his mind - boys and their toys   :roll:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Clearing the lands
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 16:28 »
Quote from: "GreenOwl"
That's interesting.  When (!) we get our allotment my OH wants to borrow a rotavator off his mate.  I believe its currently grassland (brand new site).  

Probably a good thing I got a good quality hoe for Christmas because I don't think I'll get him to change his mind - boys and their toys   :roll:

The rotovator works even on couch grass, but you have to keep it going and just on the odd ocassion. Back to the start, ask at your allotments to see if people are prepared to help you out with the digging, I would of suggested going at a slow rate anyway looking at your plot, do small areas and do a good job, if done proper then you only have to worry about the seed bank which if you hoe regular that wont be a problem.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

GreenOwl

Clearing the lands
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 14:24 »
Had you considered clearing the land this way:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=11578

Sorry should have posted that before.  I've used it in the back garden.  Fine apart from having to remove the packing tape from the cardboard and green plastic netting (previous owner laid cheap turf held together with netting) the following year.

xx
clearing ground

Started by vespaman on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 21:09
by vespaman
xx
clearing my plot

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 18:28
by harrymac
xx
Clearing the Spuds

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 22:21
by Annie
xx
Clearing My Allotment

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 19:09
by Kristen

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 36 queries.