Diesel

• 104 Replies

sweet nasturtium

Diesel
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2007, 09:50 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"

No just a G4 Piccasso diesel.
Very good on mpg. 55 on a run 40+ combined, 7 seats,but I will use  like a van,so I do not have run 2 vehicles.

I have not owned a Jag for a few years now. :lol:

A brand new car as a van - are you sure?  I hope your oh knows about this - I just hope you have a trailer for the mucky stuff.

Does it have hydraulic suspension?  We used to have one like that - great for bumpy country roads and when it gets really difficult you just up the suspension and the base goes as high up as a 4x4.  I notice lots of country folk still have them.

mkhenry

Diesel
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2007, 21:26 »
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"
Quote from: "mkhenry"

No just a G4 Piccasso diesel.
Very good on mpg. 55 on a run 40+ combined, 7 seats,but I will use  like a van,so I do not have run 2 vehicles.

I have not owned a Jag for a few years now. :lol:

A brand new car as a van - are you sure?  I hope your oh knows about this - I just hope you have a trailer for the mucky stuff.

Does it have hydraulic suspension?  We used to have one like that - great for bumpy country roads and when it gets really difficult you just up the suspension and the base goes as high up as a 4x4.  I notice lots of country folk still have them.

I would rather have a van than a car this car is a compromise between the two. I did ask to have a tow bar fitted for a trailer.  The dealer wants £595 to supply and fit so I said.........................................No thank you.
Yes it does have Hydraulic suspension and an adjustable load bed.It will lower around 5"to 6" to help with heavy loads.
It also has rather bizarrely Mood Lighting. A series of L e ds around the cabin that you can dim to help your mood I presume.
Anyway I get it saturday morning so I will get myself into the right mood to try out the lights. :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Selkie

Diesel
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2007, 21:32 »
Oooh Henry you will be a big hit with the laydees :wink:

mkhenry

Diesel
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2007, 23:42 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
Oooh Henry you will be a big hit with the laydees :wink:

It would take a lot more than a new car to make me a hit with the Ladeees :lol:  :wink:

mkhenry

Diesel
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2007, 00:12 »
I have a confession to make.I filled my present car up with fuel on monday £72s worth,forgetting that it was going in part ex for the new car.
It has a device to stop anyone taking anything out of the tank.Ive been driving around like a madman to use it up.but I still have over half a tank and I am far too busy at this time of the year to keep driving so the dealer will be happy,and I bet my new car will only have a thimble -full in it. :oops:  :shock:  :?

sweet nasturtium

Diesel
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2007, 00:54 »
Take it back to the forecourt and explain that you put a bit extra in the tank for them specially - get the Christmas spirit started (and stop thinking of ways to get the petrol out or use it up - Ebenezer would be proud of you).

mkhenry

Diesel
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2007, 10:26 »
Take it back to the forecourt and explain that you put a bit extra in the tank for them specially - get the Christmas spirit started (and stop thinking of ways to get the petrol out or use it up - Ebenezer would be proud of you).

:lol:  :lol:

gobs

Diesel
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2007, 10:28 »
What's your thoughts on methanol/ethanol run cars?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

Diesel
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2007, 10:43 »
Quote from: "gobs"
I have grave concerns that Biodiesel and/or ethanol production will allow the West to monopolise vast tracts of land in other countries - land that would be better utilised to grow food.

The economic pressure to irrigate in hot climates will reduce river flow, increase salination and lead, ultimately, to desertification.

Apart from that, I think it is a great idea ...

gobs

Diesel
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2007, 12:33 »
I guess hydrogen use is a variation on the theme, I don't know how they imagine it will work, but I'm sure, there are plans and plants already in place for this and 3 countries pledged to have zero green house emissions by 2021, which is said to be perfectly possible. :?

And there is the hybrid car with electrics. Reason I'm asking is, they say, to reduce your carbon footprint don't buy a new car as it is more emissions to manufacture one, would that be only true about traditional fuel models?

Because, they also say, lose your old fridge from the garage. And we had to replace a few electrical appliances in the last 2 years or so(bought A rated), in fact we use more of them than before but our electricity bill decreased.

So the promises about an energy and fuel efficient car sound tempting, but there is a big hmm, is that really so?

sweet nasturtium

Diesel
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2007, 19:15 »
Quote from: "WG."
Quote from: "gobs"
I have grave concerns that Biodiesel and/or ethanol production will allow the West to monopolise vast tracts of land in other countries - land that would be better utilised to grow food.

The economic pressure to irrigate in hot climates will reduce river flow, increase salination and lead, ultimately, to desertification.

Apart from that, I think it is a great idea ...

But the great thing about veg oil fuel is that, if you really need to, you can also use it as food.  You can't eat diesel.

WG.

Diesel
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2007, 19:21 »
But the great thing about veg oil fuel is that, if you really need to, you can also use it as food.  You can't eat diesel.
I think you are muddying the water here.  I will use a thousand times as many litres of fuel in a year than I will consume as food.

Maybe someone can do the arithmetic : how many hectares of rape seed would be needed to grow the 2500 litres of fuel which I will use each year?

sweet nasturtium

Diesel
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2007, 00:18 »
Where's mushroom when you need him? 8)

Selkie

Diesel
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2007, 00:19 »
Still eating left over goose! :lol:

gobs

Diesel
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2007, 00:33 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
Still eating left over goose! :lol:

Must be, I tell you. :lol:

xx
Biofuel versus the raising cost of diesel

Started by lefrog on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 15:13
by Alfie

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 35 queries.