What I did on the plot today 2018

• 355 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today 2018
« Reply #270 on: June 24, 2018, 19:51 »
Friday, had a good tidy up of the last scruffy areas, planted out 157 leeks, hubby watered for me. Bit of weeding
Saturday, put all the 2 litre bottles in for the courgettes,patty pans & ornamental gourds,& all the climbing beans,that will help with getting the water to the roots & stopping water evaporation. Built a frame for the ornamental gourds to grow round. Bit more weeding.
Sunday, person in the brassica cage & weeded, not as bad as I thought, probably took me half an hour, watered them all really well, then planted 4 very large dahlias that I was given as dry tubers.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 19:53 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DaveF68

« Reply #271 on: June 26, 2018, 23:23 »
Picked strawberries!

chillimummy

« Reply #272 on: June 26, 2018, 23:42 »
Last 2 nights went to plot in the evening as too hot in the day and got so much done.
Weeded bed for sweetcorn and now planted 11 plants as had poor germination.
Will sow seeds in that bed too for chard and plant fennel if it ever germinates.
Watered everything both nights.
Weeded onions, weeded peas and beans.
Started raking soil and preparing bed ready for pumpkins and squash and courgettes.
Back tomorrow to start planting.
Also have broccoli to plant that was given to me as most of mine eaten by slugs  ;)
Brassica bed needs weeding too but mostly superficial weeds.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

chillimummy

« Reply #273 on: June 29, 2018, 14:46 »
Another evening visit after work.
Planted butternut squash in bed that's had rabbit poo on it for few months so hoping it will help cropping  Next visit planting pumpkins and spaghetti squash and my courgettes.
Started weeding brassica bed but hard work even after it was rotovated few months ago. Soil so dry with big lumps of soil.
Few broccoli under netting have survived and are growing. No sprouts or cabbage at all this year as eaten by slugs  :(
Have never had none growing. Love my sprouts in winter.  :(
Gave everything another good watering.
Still few areas to tackle. Can't dig over and weed under black plastic next to strawberries because of bees nest. Will cover it over more next visit as weeds growing again where I pulled plastic back and dug before I got stung  ;)
Next to potatoes I have a patch to dig over and rotovate and will put squash there if I run out of space.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #274 on: June 30, 2018, 08:33 »
Did a big tidy up of a large border at home and planted out quite a few flower plants grown from seed.  Gave the whole lot a good water.

Then had a serious think about veg plants and pulled a few out of pots and modules for either the compost bucket or the chickens.  The plot is dry and I am watering so much, do I need to be watering plants I could restart in a few weeks - nope.  I've kept some like chard and potted them on for planting later, but salad leaves and quick crops for greens have been relegated to whatever would fit into a few empty pots at home.  I had a couple of squash plants that were lagging behind the rest and they have gone as well.  If they are only just up to decent size now, I reckon they are pretty much out of time to produce much.

If the weather breaks and we get rain, it will be game on again, but for now, I'm sticking with what I have and trying to keep that going  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #275 on: June 30, 2018, 18:19 »
Watering and weeding on the small plot, plus planted out sweetcorn and soy beans.  I did have plans to go back later to do some work on the big plot, but it is soooooo hot.

Plan B is to get up at the stroke of sparrow fart tomorrow and get going before the heat builds  ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #276 on: June 30, 2018, 19:42 »
Took a risk & sowed another packet of parsnips as the earlier sowings has pathetic germination,12 parsnips is not going to cut it for the winter. More carrots as they’re been dire too, few others on the plot were saying they’ve had poor parsnip & carrots too, so don’t feel so bad & Monty Don had to do his again on Gardeners World last night. Then I took out the old strawberry plants, felt quite guilty as they’ve fruited really well but they were mostly about dead anyway, hoed tge area & sowed 2 rows of turnips & 2 of swede(5ft rows), thought I had more swede seed s but I can’t find them & we eat a lot of swede during the winter. Kept the strawberry nets over them to stop the cabbage whites & the pigeons., cam. E home very hot

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #277 on: July 01, 2018, 12:33 »
Groundhog day  :lol:  Lots more watering and weeding, but this time on the big plot.  I also planted out leeks.  I sowed these in a deep pot in April and fed them regularly.  They have done really well and are actually biro sized  8)

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #278 on: July 01, 2018, 18:09 »
That's a relief, I haven't been able to go to the plot for over 2 weeks, I have very light soil and was expecting everything to be dead from heat and drought, happily everything has survived somehow!  Admittedly I didn't have any salad leaves growing. I watered and did a bit of weeding, then picked raspberies, gooseberries, broad beans,  onions which had bolted, early spuds.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #279 on: July 01, 2018, 18:23 »
Harvested the last of the gooseberries, as well as beetroot, the first marrow as well as even more courgettes.
Lifted the garlic and put them to dry in the polytunnel.

Built a frame in the polytunnel so that the kiwi, cucumbers,,tomatoes and the butternut squash can freely climb over

chillimummy

« Reply #280 on: July 07, 2018, 00:16 »
Finished planting squash and courgettes. Filled whole bed now with butternut and spaghetti squash, pumpkins and courgettes. Just need them to get going  ;)
Have been giving them good watering.
Watered everything after weeding peas and onions.
Picked lots more sugar snap peas.
Sweetcorn that I planted are tiny despite regular watering  :(
Had to do second sowing due to poor germination and bought some but late planting.
Weeded brassica bed ready for more broccoli and some donated sprouts. Bit more to weed but hard going as soil so dry.
Might try watering before weeding.
Pulled up weed fabric on weed ridden path and will put new down tomorrow and got supply  of chippings.

chillimummy

« Reply #281 on: July 08, 2018, 23:44 »
Evening visit again and finished pulling up rest of weed fabric from path, weeds came away easily too  :)
Put new weed fabric down, edged sides and filled with lots of chippings.
Filled path around raspberry bushes with chippings too, big pile left on plot.
OH came to strim fruit bushes which are like a jungle at back of plot.
Got quite a bit done until strimmer developed a leak so needs new part.
Have lots of cardboard and weed fabric to put down and will cover with chippings while plenty left.
Might venture to plot in day tomorrow to finish  ;)
Have few things to plant too.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #282 on: July 10, 2018, 20:31 »
So far this week after work, sown autumn king carrots, beetroot, have also levelled ground and laid some slabs to improve path, earthed up new potatoes and planted on 32 leeks into their final position. On Sunday did a lot of digging over the beds that grew garlic, then fertiliser, added compost and sowed six rows of kelvedon wonder peas for a later crop.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 20:34 by Thrutchington »

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #283 on: July 15, 2018, 17:34 »
Planted the last lot of leeks out.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #284 on: July 15, 2018, 18:49 »
Went down this morning before the heat built too much.
Weeding, watering, picked courgettes and raspberries. Put down membrane around courgettes to hold in moisture. Watered compost heaps. It's so desperately dry, I have a lot of gaps to fill if it cools down. I have started some salad leaves and herbs, French beans etc. at home for that reason.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 44 queries.