Horseradish leaves

• 7 Replies

ghost61

Horseradish leaves
« on: June 28, 2013, 06:49 »
I have an abundance of these on my plot, and wonder whether they are safe to give to chickens? Any other unusual leaves that can be fed to hens?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Horseradish leaves
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:34 »
They can eat it, whether yours will like it is another matter. ::) You can also try them on weeds such as dandelion or chickweed.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:05 »
I grow comfrey which I use to add to the compost and my birds seem to like that  but thy don't like fresh greens I give them, i.e cabbage etc.  They go mad for apples tho!!! and they have been pecking at my gooseberries  OUCH!!!! :D :D

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 15:23 »
My three light sussex turn their noses up at many things. Apples, pears, courgettes, carrot tops are all yuk in their opinion. But having now tried some horseradish leaves, I can report that they love them. I always give them a mixed bouquet of greens everyday, and was running out of their favourite, chard, so being able to add horseradish is a bonus. Thankfully the rapini has gone to seed and they eat that up too. Roll on the day that the cabbages etc get large enough to spare some leaves!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 16:09 »
Be careful that the flavour of the leaves doesn't taint their eggs.  Let us know if you taste a difference?   :unsure:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 16:16 »
I only add two or three smallish leaves amongst the chard, chicory, sorrel etc, so hopefully we won't see a difference in the flavour.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 16:18 »
I hope your hens appreciate the thought you put in to their diet.   ;)

ghost61

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 16:27 »
I work on the basis that they, like me, appreciate a varied diet. A fellow plot holder bought 6 chickens a week before me, and he has had real problems. He has kept hens for many years, but has always had ex batts in the past and the new ones are not. He insists that they should only eat cabbage for their greens, and even then, they only get given one a week. They don't get any treats like corn or a few mealworms. He rarely gets any eggs. So hard to suggest that he tries something different.

I like o think that mine are happy hens as they reward us with an egg each every day.

xx
Oak leaves

Started by trinamc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 26, 2010, 22:43
by Lindeggs
xx
Leaves

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 22:05
by chickenlady
xx
leaves in run

Started by bigaky on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 22:03
by swedishchicken
question
Potato leaves

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 09:34
by SMD66

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 35 queries.