chicken pen nightmare!

• 5 Replies

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
chicken pen nightmare!
« on: August 21, 2011, 16:26 »
Hello everyone, Im currently trying to start building my chicken pen, its 16ft wide by 20ft long, I has driven 3 of the corner posts about 9 inches deep (theyre also quite thick, about 10cm x 10cm. Ive got the 4th post about 2inches down and have realised theres one MASSIVE boulder under it..Im now having to go round the ground nearby to find free soil underneath far enough to drive post in, is there any EASY way to do this?anybody else come across this and got an easy way to test the ground , it would be fine if it was a few stones as I can just lift hem out, but Im worried this is an old outbuilding or something under my paddock. Im obvioously re-assessing my sizes.......grr.....not easy with two toddlers and a puppy nipping at my ankles...wheres a man when u need one!!  :wacko:
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

brownysfp

chicken pen nightmare!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 16:58 »
Hi Nic
I tap a metal stake into the ground before putting any bigger poles in; it isn't foolproof, depending on how deep you want to go, but it can save some frustration. Our youngsters and mothers with chicks have runs which get moved regularly so always I always try this method first. I'm building another this week for a foster mum and her new Limousin Blues - oh good.
The adults free-range with a couple of coops in the meadow, they don't have runs...
Good luck with it...
Veteran of the Predator Wars

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: chicken pen nightmare!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 01:14 »
Nic, I'm afraid there is no easy way around this. Even a man wouldn't be able to drive a post through solid rock!  ;)

As brownysfp said, driving a metal stake into the ground first can help, and only settle on your final layout once you're sure you can get all the posts in.  My run is made of steel posts with mesh strung between them, but we don't have a predator issue here so mine can be more flimsy than you will probably need.

P.S. What do you call a steel fence post with a Y cross-section and holes for wire?  Australians call them 'Star Pickets' but in NZ we call them 'Waratahs'. What do you call them?
http://www.rjreid.co.nz/yposts/yposts.htm
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 01:15 by Lindeggs »

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 23:08 »
I have no idea what they are called! "big metal poles" will do just fine  ;)  Ive decided to call in our gardener to do it !! I ended up at my wits end, hands full of blisters and a bruised knee from missing the post and whacking my nee cap with the mallet.....Its frustrating to say the least as this chicken keeping is my project, my baby and I wanted to do it all by myself :(   oh well at least I know it'll get done properly! haha really appreciate your time replying. thank you

p.s I get my ladies on Monday night so I'll post a few pictures for you all. xxx

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 23:28 »
... a bruised knee from missing the post and whacking my nee cap with the mallet...

:blink: OUCH!  Yes, at that point I would be calling in the gardener!

I hope the rest of your chicken-keeping experience is easier (and less painful!) I look forward to seeing the pics of your new ladies.  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 19:40 »
If the concrete is solid you can attach your post with one of these - metpost flush fit system.

http://search.diy.com/search#w=fencing supports&asug=

They bolt onto the concrete and you slot the post into the sleeve then tighten the clamp bolts to hold the post in place.  Hope this helps.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

sad
Nightmare

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 18:46
by bubs
xx
Nightmare!

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 11:46
by Silkysmooth
xx
Red Mite Nightmare

Started by The Goods on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 19:23
by joyfull
question
Sick chickens...a bit of a nightmare....

Started by PCHStu on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2016, 19:20
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 30 queries.