Soft shelled eggs - food for thought

• 3 Replies

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Soft shelled eggs - food for thought
« on: August 30, 2011, 23:54 »
I've been browsing a lot of chicken websites in my attempts to learn as much as possible about keeping my girls healthy and happy. 

An interesting pattern I've noticed is that on Australian and New Zealand websites the issue of soft-shelled eggs is rarely mentioned, yet it often comes up on this forum.

The most obvious difference is the strength of the sunlight.  In both Australia and NZ there is a lot of UV light, and humans (and other animals) can get badly burned after only a few minutes in the sun.

Exposure to UV light allows your body to produce Vitamin D.  Vit D is essential for absorbing calcium.  The same applies to chickens - they need Vit D to absorb calcium.

So I would like to remind people that supplementing calcium is not the only solution for soft-shelled eggs.  Supplementing Vitamin D can also be a big help, and it can be given to the whole flock, not just the bird laying the soft eggs.

Also, ensure your flock has as much opportunity as possible to be exposed to natural daylight.  Let them out early in the morning and encourage them to spend time dust bathing in a warm, sunny corner of their run.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Soft shelled eggs - food for thought
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 05:02 »
interesting theory Lindeggs although I don't think you need much exposure to daylight to get enough vitamin D and in the times that we have less daylight hours (winter) most chickens will have either eased up a little or even stopped laying until spring returns. Perhaps your chickens over there get more plants that have a higher concentration of calcium such as dark leafy vegetables.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 07:28 »
Hmmm... that's true Joyfull.  Although in some southern parts of NZ they have cold, snowy winters so the chickens wouldn't get their green veg all year round. 

On the other hand with fewer predators, more chickens here would be allowed to free range full time so maybe they do find plenty of leafy greens for themselves.

Time to take my theory to the lab for some testing.  8)

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 18:38 »
Interestingly enough, I was reading an article in the paper regarding Vitamin D deficiency, (in humans) and the large majority were deficient! It seems with all the care over skin cancer we are not getting enough vitamin D through exposure to sunlight.

Food for though.

Christine

Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
Causes of soft shelled eggs

Started by ANHBUC on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 13, 2012, 19:34
by wildwitchy
question
Soft Shelled Eggs???

Started by leggygirls on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 14:49
by leggygirls
xx
soft shelled eggs

Started by angeandjohn on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 16:06
by angeandjohn

Page created in 0.534 seconds with 37 queries.