New to chickens

• 7 Replies

ali2

• Experienced Member
New to chickens
« on: November 24, 2009, 08:32 »
This time of year is fine but in the summer when it gets light early do most people get out at first light to let the chickens out or is it ok to leave them untill say 7am ?  Know it's not relevant this time of year but I do like to be prepared  !!

Ali x
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.

treacleminer

Re: New to chickens
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 08:41 »
Yes, it's absolutely fine - up here we would be letting them out at 4.00 am if it wasn't!
I have an automatic pophole, set to 7.00 am for the mornings and on a light sensor for the evenings - works for us :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 08:56 »
In summer I wake up at about 5am anyway (the blackbirds around here are very very noisy  :lol:) so get up and let mine out. This time of year I am up at 6 but don't let them out until 7.15 when it is just light. Getting up isn't the problem for me but it's getting them to bed in summer that is - they free range and don't want to go to bed until about 10pm and I want to be nicely tucked up in bed before then  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 09:17 »
we know that feeling in the summer joy, in bed before the kids and the chickens want to go to bed.

i let mine out into the run at about 7 am, then sometimes go back to bed (when its raining) for an hour, i let them out into the garden when i get up.
as joy said, its getting them back into the run in the summer.

susan - happy hens

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 09:27 »
Hi Ali, We got ex battery hens at the end of June, the sunset was 10.45 on a good night!(Co. Antrim) They were like naughty teenagers standing on the ramp not going to bed. Someone suggested covering the window which we did for the summer months.  The lovely peeps on this sight give  the benefit of their experience and always I think with a smile! We do what GD says  at the weekend. Good luck. x

ali2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 09:34 »
Thanks for your quicke replies ....we're new to keeping chickens - just 2 weeks so far but I'm totally hooked..free ranging the garden now and waiting our first egg.  Re summer months..glad they could wait till 7am as could see me and hubby arguing as to whose turn it is come 5am !!

Like this site ...glad I found it .x :happy:

Bigblacktaximan

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 10:29 »
Thanks for your quicke replies ....we're new to keeping chickens - just 2 weeks so far but I'm totally hooked..free ranging the garden now and waiting our first egg.  Re summer months..glad they could wait till 7am as could see me and hubby arguing as to whose turn it is come 5am !!

Like this site ...glad I found it .x :happy:

he could always buy you an Automatic pop hole opener kit for your birthday/valentines/mothers day  or Christmas  (I know Im always stuck for gift ideas for my wife  :tongue2: )  that way you wouldn't have to get up  :D

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 15:10 »
Definately go for an auto pophole opener, they are great, take all the problem out of 'remembering' ::)

Ours is light sensitive, so in summer chucks are up and about v early and get the benefit of a longer day.  Sensitivity is adjustable, so if you do find the default setting doesn't match what your girls want to do, you can change it to suit them.

Also makes life a lot easier if you're away and need to ask someone else to take over chuck duties.

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
can chickens dig?

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 11:13
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 29 queries.