propagating laurier

• 3 Replies

kkc

propagating laurier
« on: March 22, 2016, 16:39 »
Hello all,  I have a question, not really allotment related but plant related nevertheless. Part of our garden is a forest and last weekend I cut down a huge laurier bush as it is not native to the forest.  We have ended up with a lot of 3-4 foot green stems with leaves and I was wondering if there was a way to replant these so that they could be used to form a laurier hedge?  At the moment they are in a water bucket.

Incidentally, a few years ago I received similar stems for a different bush.  I kept them in water for weeks but they never rooted.  In the end I just stuck them into the garden and 1 - 2 years later they started growing.   I was amazed. 

I'd like to do the same with the cuttings I have now, but I'd also like to speed up the time.  Any advice would be gratefully received.  Thank you. kkc

Snoop

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: propagating laurier
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 09:30 »
Bay trees are usually propagated from cuttings taken in late summer. I'm not sure that they would grow from prunings taken at this time of year - but you'll never know if you don't try.

kkc

Re: propagating laurier
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:08 »
Thank you Snoop.  I found the answer at the link you posted.  In fact the bush I cut down was a laurel, not a laurier and the answer to the question is

"Propagating Laurel:
Question: What is the easiest way to start new plants from Russian Laurel?
Answer: Cuttings from Laurel should root readily if semi-ripe cuttings are taken in mid-summer and planted immediately. Choose a stem that is just beginning to get a brownish bark-like look, remove all but the top few leaves, dip the cut end in rooting hormone and place each cutting in a prepared hole or in a pot of moistened potting soil. Keep the soil moist but not soggy wet and protect the cuttings from direct sunlight. You'll know when they've rooted by the new leaves that develop along the stem or top of the cutting.
Link: http://www.garden.org/searchqa/index.php?q=show&id=12748&ps=2&keyword=propagating%20laurel&adv=0"

xx
Propagating Buddleja?

Started by Tigerhair on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 23:01
by Teen76
xx
Have Propagating bench - Now What?

Started by adri on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post October 26, 2018, 08:59
by sunshineband
xx
Propagating Hawthorn

Started by upert on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 19:20
by Celtic Eagle
xx
Propagating roses

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post June 08, 2020, 13:30
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.