Bronze grass

• 2 Replies

sion01

Bronze grass
« on: March 28, 2016, 21:22 »
I saw some bronze coloured grass at only 50p a pot in November and bought five ::).I'd seen them before and they were quite expensive so I thought 'what the hell'.I combined them with a yellow cornus and a dark purple and pink phormium and they have looked great and colourful all through the damp,dark,miserable winter.

Now i'm at a loss as what to do with the grass as I have filed the name card in the bin.It may have been called ponytail/s but I'm not sure.I have never grown ornamental grasses before so i'm a bit nervouse of killing it.From what I have read you cut some grasses right down this time of year but with other's you just cut off the faded flower spikes.Being a grass even if i cut it right down and I'm not supposed too I shouldn't kill it,should I ?????

Trikidiki

Re: Bronze grass
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 21:38 »
No idea what it is, but I would try combing it through to start with an see what it looks like. If it's big enough you could split it in two and chop one half and comb the other half. Then report back which worked best.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 21:39 by Trikidiki »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bronze grass
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 08:32 »
It sounds like you have bought some pots that garden centres sell in the autumn for tubs and baskets.  As the flower choice is reduced over winter, most people mix in some foliage and it can look very effective.  Your planting combination sounds very nice  :)

There are a couple of possibilities.  One of the common ones is Stipa tenuissima Ponytails, or it could be a Carex.  Carex Bronzita is one that is often included in the mix, but there a few that look very similar.  If you Google some picks you should be able to ID them.  They look quite different  :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:35 by New shoot »

xx
Help, how to remove pampas grass and mystery grass identification.

Started by WeavingGryphon on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 20:36
by jezza
xx
Help, how to remove pampas grass and mystery grass identification?

Started by AustinGreyson on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2020, 19:30
by jezza
xx
my grass

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2012, 20:18
by chrissie B
xx
Grass....

Started by Craigx on General Gardening

32 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 06:48
by allotmentann

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 37 queries.