How to start a compost bin

• 14 Replies

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
How to start a compost bin
« on: April 29, 2009, 10:56 »
Hi There,

Getting my first Compost Bin soon and wanted to know can i start it off using alot of removed turf that i have removed from the garden. I have this stored at the min inside a green bin but before i take it down the tip i wanted to know is it best to keep it all.

CHris
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:27 by noshed »

noshed

Re: How to start a compost bin
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:35 »
The removed turf is better stacked in a corner to rot down itself - cover with a bit of plastic if you have any. It is a bit dense for your compost bin and would tend to stop air circulation - resulting in slime!
Start your compost bin off by putting in layers of weeds, kitchen peelings etc, interspersed with torn up newspaper, cardboard etc. Don't make any of the layers deeper than about 6". Some twiggy bits now and again will help the air to circulate.
Fling in a bit of earth to encourage helpful beasties and some wee if you can do it without getting arrested.
Cover it with a bit of carpet or a bin bag.
This time of year it should start to heat up quickly, then all you need to do is stir it or turn it in about 3 weeks and it will be ready a couple of weeks after that.
It doesn't matter if you haven't got a lot of stuff to add in one go, just add what you have and make sure you alternate the layers, particularly if you put grass cuttings in.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:51 »
"Fling in a bit of earth to encourage helpful beasties and some wee if you can do it without getting arrested."

... and/or some fresh manure if you have any.

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:05 »
When I started making compost I found a lot of useful information on the Recycle Now site (for example, their step by step guide: http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/making_compost/step_by_step.html).  They've changed it round a bit since I looked at it last, but the info should still be there.

If you're getting a compost bin with a lid, you don't have to cover it with anything else.  I find that mine takes a bit longer than three weeks to produce compost, though - maybe six months or a bit longer.  I don't turn it completely, though, just stir it about occasionally.

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:31 »
Would it be ok to locate my bin on a slab and not soil as there is no other place to locate it. ALso does it need to be in sun or can it be located in full shade.

Chris

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 12:38 »
Should be fine on a slab, although you won't get the extra help from worms crawling up into it.  The advice from 'Recycle Now' is to put a layer of something (paper and twigs or compost) on the bottom to start it off if you can't put the bin on the ground.

A bit of sun is helpful in keeping the bin warm, but mine only gets sun for about an hour in late afternoon and I think some people said recently that they had their compost bins in shady spots, too.

Bombers

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 17:39 »
Chris, I'd be tempted to lift one of your slabs, under where you want to site your compost bin. ;)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 09:51 »
I have four dalek bins, all on a concrete base. I get loads of worms in them once they have cooled down
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Dal

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 19:01 »
Should be fine on a slab, although you won't get the extra help from worms crawling up into it.  The advice from 'Recycle Now' is to put a layer of something (paper and twigs or compost) on the bottom to start it off if you can't put the bin on the ground.

A bit of sun is helpful in keeping the bin warm, but mine only gets sun for about an hour in late afternoon and I think some people said recently that they had their compost bins in shady spots, too.
An article I read recently suggested putting the compost bin/heap on top of a wooden pallet and siting in the shadiest part of the garden. The reasons for this being a) the pallet allows more air from underneath (and also helps prevent any nearby trees from robbing out the goodness from the compost) and b) because the activity of the compost heap is internal (if turned regularly) then having sun on it isn't all that important. It made sense to me at the time.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 08:08 »
My black Daleks are in full sun and get pretty hot on the outside in Summer, which I think may be beneficial to raising the temperature inside, and helping accelerate the bugs.

Dal

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 08:18 »
My black Daleks are in full sun and get pretty hot on the outside in Summer, which I think may be beneficial to raising the temperature inside, and helping accelerate the bugs.
That's pretty much the way I'd always done it before. However, my last 2 compost heaps, although not placed on pallets, were in a very shady place under a Cedar. Within weeks, after thoroughly turning them weekly, I had workable compost. It was by accident that I had placed them there, not by design.
 Next ones will be placed on pallets and intentionally put in shade as a deliberate experiment.

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 21:30 »
Hi All

re the compost bin- I am new to composting and have made 2 side by side. One of them is about half full now and when I give it a good old dig, there are plenty of worms and it doesn't smell bad. How will I know when its ready for use? Do I have to wait until the bin is full then put it into the second bin and then use the compost at the bottom of the first one.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 21:39 »
I tend to the view that compost is ready when it's brown and crumbly, and not smelly.

I have two bins and tend to use one up while filling the other - but I don't think that's the best way of doing it.  Something to do with turning, mixing, etc - hopefully someone else will help here  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 21:45 »
If you have a spare 10 minutes or so there is a good basic how to compost including when is it ready video here:

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/composting/index.php

Bob

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 12:18 »
Thanks Bob, that video was very informative. It has answered a lot of my queries.

xx
Compost - from scratch - where to start?

Started by Helen_uk on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 20:56
by Christine
xx
see what happens or start again?

Started by diggerjoe on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 09:56
by diggerjoe
xx
Is it the start of rust?

Started by AlistairMcLennan on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 09:57
by sunshineband
xx
When to start Dahlias

Started by Glosterboy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 10:50
by Yabba

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 36 queries.