Standing water on allotment.

• 5 Replies

tom/barbara

Standing water on allotment.
« on: October 26, 2011, 11:56 »
Hi, I have just been reading some ideas to solve drainage problems on my allotment, some have been very helpful, (i did't know b&q sold pipe with holes already in for drainage).

Does any one know if planting trees or shrubs that bear edible fruit, or take up loads of water would help, if so what type.

This is a really good site for swapping ideas and learning new ones. :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Standing water on allotment.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 12:16 »
Hi and welcome! :D I'll move this to the growing board to get you some answers.... :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 12:41 »
trees do draw a lot of water from the ground, the main drawback is that to be effective, they need to quickly grow into big trees eg willow, silver birch etc), not really suitable for an allotment and don't produce edible fruits.

If you have standing water on your site, it would help to know what the cause of this is so that the right suggestions can be offered. Eg, is it high water table, clay soil, compacted soil etc.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 13:26 »
Agree with Aelf - trees are hardly a quick fix, and even if they were you would have created an unwelcome source of competition for light and nutrients for your other allotment crops.

Do others on your site have similar problems (if so, what have they done about it?)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 22:19 »
I planted artichokes and rhubarb in the main area that gets water logged in winter and also planted a cranberry bush in the most wet area which is pretty boggy during winter.  I also put in raised beds so these areas were fairly usable anyway.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

tom/barbara

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 14:55 »
Hi, thanks for replying so quickly :), the soil on the allotment has a lot of clay in it. I have spoken to some of the other guys down there and a few do have the same problem on both sides of allotment, no-one seems to be doing much about it, just wading about in their wellies. Mine is on a slight incline though and seems to get the worse, down at the bottom, we had our chickens there and seeing that the poor things couldn't swim, have had to move them to the top.

xx
Standing water

Started by Weed on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 14:42
by Paul Plots
xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig
xx
No water at the allotment

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 19:21
by Togalosh
xx
do you have water on your allotment?

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 22:17
by fluffstermum

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 33 queries.