Question for Aunt Sally (or anyone else!)

• 2 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« on: January 23, 2008, 20:05 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
We've just put a shed up on our allotment and used a tip we picked up in a book called "The Allotment Book" by Andi Clevely.  In there it suggested laying the bearers (we used 3x3" tanalised fence posts) on a gravel base.  It worked really well. is self leveling and will stay very dry.

Aunt Sally..... I've just found the above post from way back last April!!

I'm hoping to order a shed soon and am very interested in your method. I am not allowed concrete on my plot so I was thinking about putting a shed on pavers but gravel looks a lot easier!

Can I just ask how the base is after nearly a year? Looking at your picture, am I right in thinking that you have put in retaining boards for the gravel? How deep is the gravel?

My agreement states that any building must be raised to a minimum of 8" and maximum of 12" from the ground.. I'm sure that there are lots of sheds on other plots that don't conform to this!!

Sorry for all the questions :oops:
thanks
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Question for Aunt Sally (or anyone else!)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 20:21 »
Quote from: "Snap Dragon"
Aunt Sally..... I've just found the above post from way back last April!!

I'm hoping to order a shed soon and am very interested in your method. I am not allowed concrete on my plot so I was thinking about putting a shed on pavers but gravel looks a lot easier!

Can I just ask how the base is after nearly a year? Looking at your picture, am I right in thinking that you have put in retaining boards for the gravel? How deep is the gravel?

My agreement states that any building must be raised to a minimum of 8" and maximum of 12" from the ground.. I'm sure that there are lots of sheds on other plots that don't conform to this!!

Sorry for all the questions :oops:
thanks

Our shed is perfect after a year SD.  This is such an easy way to make a base.  The retaining edges are made from fence posts and the gravel is about 2 inches deep.  I think we used about 12 bags of gravel to go under the 5 x 7 shed.   :D

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 20:24 »
Many thanks Aunty....

I think you've just made hubbys life much easier (he doesn't know it yet though!!!! :wink: )

xx
greenhouse question

Started by mumofstig on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 10:24
by aelf
xx
DIY/handicraft question

Started by Ice on Design and Construction

20 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 18:06
by hamstergbert
xx
Polycarbonate question

Started by jrko on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 18:53
by jrko
xx
Glue question.

Started by A. Fallowfield on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 02, 2013, 15:30
by Trillium

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 29 queries.