put me name down for a allotment

• 19 Replies

mikem

• Experienced Member
Re: put me name down for a allotment
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 07:29 »
I think that I waited for about 3 years.  However I walked down to the allotments fairly frequently and chatted with the people there.  Whilst I am sure that it didn't move me up the list it was helpful to both know other people when I eventually got my plot but also I understood a bit better what grew well.

If it is a very long waiting list then someone who is struggling may be prepared to "let you help" in return for some of the produce!

cadalot

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 07:59 »
London Borough of Sutton - it took 3 weeks waiting as those on the waiting list before would not put the work in to clear the plot and declined what was offered.

Our site is little known as its out of the way, and it had 6 plots up for grabs this year and now they have all gone. Already put on for another plot on the same site, and I'm on the waiting list on two sites much nearer to home. 

A full plot is considered to be 250 m2 thus a half plot is 125m2 I actually got 5m x 15m = 75m2. looking at the map provided it would appear that the plots have never been actually measures just assumed to be Full or Half plots, and I'm guessing my neighbours are paying for what the council thinks they have rather than what they actually have!

Current rates per m2 are

Basic               £0.275 /m2
Concession     £0.173 /m2
Wate               £0.039 /m2

So I paid £20.55 + Water at £2.92 zero vat = £ 23.47

snow white

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 14:45 »
No waiting list at our allotments and about six available at the moment.  £30 a half plot and £50 full plot.  Water available. They are new allotments so we still are in the process of building things.  Will have a toilet, storage shed, community shed, polytunnel and shop by end of the year.  Our plots are either 20m x 12.5m or10m x 12.5 m big.  Rabbit fencing all around.  It is quite an exposed site at the moment, but when the hedges and trees grow up, it will be better.  The plots have no weeds other than a bit of grass and was ploughed last September. 

From what others have said, we have got a fantastic plot at a fantastic price.

homegrown

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 17:12 »
Had a email from the council im on the list for my local allotment only 2min walk away.
Number 126 and he said it should be between 1 and 2 year wait which is brilliant

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 21:42 »
Wow your rent is cheap, Mine is £74 and inc water, but nothing else. We have no shop,no deliveries of manure,soil,wood chippings, but then it is in the London!!

Also in London (LB Kingston), but £31/year half plot inc water and wood chip, manure £5/year for 30-40 barrows, ok security, no shop but plenty of friendly people with spares around growing time! Just shows how much prices can vary.

xx
allotment

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 14:11
by Headgardener22
xx
New allotment help

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2015, 12:49
by Ema
xx
allotment

Started by finster on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 13:25
by chriscross1966
xx
Just got an allotment!

Started by Njal on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 13:38
by Val H

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 37 queries.