Poorly chicken

• 5 Replies

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
Poorly chicken
« on: May 25, 2010, 20:05 »
My Legbar is not herself today, she is still interested in food, but after eating goes off and stands in a corner. She has had a dirty bum, which I needed to trim last weekend. She has very red wattles and a red bottom, does she have a temperature, how do I check? She is nodding off to sleep and her tail is down - she is not right. I thought she was limping at the weekend but wasn't sure. Any suggestion? What should I do?

She probably needs worming again, I use Verm-X for chickens, I need to do them again. She is my son's chicken and all he talks about...  :( She has rather runny whitish poo, and a temperature I'm sure, is there anything that will help lower this?

Pretty Chick

Re: Poorly chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 20:17 »
does she have a temperature, how do I check?

You could try feeling under her wings to see if her temperature is higher than the other hens'.
Maybe a trip to the vets is needed.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you more and better advice than mine.
Best wishes and hope she recovers  :)
All lives are precious.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 20:22 »
Ok, chickens hide their illness very well, so generally when you see that they are unwell they are normally feeling really grotty. The easiest way to see if a chuck has a temp nis to feel under her wing, then compare it with a healthy girl. Chickens temps normally run quite high (around 39.4) so she will feel warm to you which is why its important to compare. Verm x is really just a laxative, it dosent kill the worms. Lots of people on here use flubenvet. Its a very good wormer, you can but it from your vets or google it and it will come up with a list of stockist. You dont need a script, and there is no egg withdrawel.The hot weather can give them runny poo, as can worms, have you looked at Aunty's poo pages :tongue2:?if she was my chicken i would take her to the vets, it could be something as simple as a heavy worm burden, but it could be something more as chucks do hide their illness like i say, and you can loose them quite quickly :(. let us know what happens, and what you decide to do :)

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 21:09 »
Thanks, I am home early from work tomorrow, so if she is no better I will take her to the vet.

Icklemonkey

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 22:13 »
Please take her to a vet ASAP as we have just lost one of ours and it all happened very quickly.  I don't mean to be morbid, I just wouldn't want the same to happen to you x

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 17:11 »
Got home early and she is much better - thank goodness! She is running after the corn, preening and pecking about in the garden, phew. I will get some better worming stuff at the weekend though. My son is really pleased his girl seems ok again.  :nowink:  I shall be keeping a close eye on her as well as our lovely little chicks who have now been brought out by their mums!
Thanks for the advice

xx
Chicken poorly?????

Started by chicken little on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 18:21
by chooksbury
question
Poorly chicken

Started by Winterbourn on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 22:41
by iwantanallotment
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by dink on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 20:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
poorly chicken

Started by janetsgirls on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 20:51
by janetsgirls

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 28 queries.