why are my new girls so noisy?

• 4 Replies

taz4711

why are my new girls so noisy?
« on: September 02, 2009, 17:20 »
I've just got 3 ex batts. Had them a week and a half. They appear to have settled in well. I just wondered why certainly one of them, if not 2, are so noisy.....not had that before with my hens. It's not  the noise that they make when they frightened of something and it's not the nice chortling noise they make when they are very happy about something - it's inbetween  :). It was around the egg laying stage 1st thing this morning but then continued afterwards. As I was working from home today I let them out of the hen run to wander the garden - they were quiet then...but that wasn't the reason they were making the noise in the 1st place. Any ideas?

Flowerpower136

Re: why are my new girls so noisy?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 17:37 »
my ex batts have been reasonably quite, and apart from just the one announcing her eggs, the only othe time they kick off is if something is wrong, or at least not quite how they like it.

eg Amber blocking the ramp and not letting anyone else out, or Paxo getting stuck under a very twiggy shrub and not able to get out again.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 17:40 »
hi there taz
if yuo look at the posts for 31st august, sarahjc hs posted about her noisy hens also - might be worth reading.  Mine still do it now and then (one of them for about an hour before laying an egg & it sounds really loud first thing in the morning when evryone is still asleep!) then of course she will announce that she has laid it by making that usual bok bok booook for about 10 mins.  They also make that whining cawwing noise if they see the cat or a rat or a paper bag flapping in the wind!  Yours are still quite new to their new home but i expect they will stop doing it so much as time goes on! goodluck, Lucylou  

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 19:26 »
mine announce everything...its very funny, they also purr, and chunner to themselfs, they have so many different noises, im convinced they are trying to comunicate :D

taz4711

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 14:27 »
Thanks for your replies folks. I've been on holiday for a week..have had friend hen sitting  :)  Let them all out in the garden first thing this morning and they seem to be a bit quieter than before...hopefully they are just settling in. It's great tuning in to all the different noises they do make..it's just that I don't want them to be the neghbours alarm clock  :)

xx
Noisy Girls

Started by FRUITFULL on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 20:10
by Elcie
xx
Very noisy Hen!!

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 20:29
by mountainvicar
xx
noisy hen

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 11, 2007, 10:01
by Shazzer
xx
very noisy hen

Started by DavenJu on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 09:55
by Beakybird

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 31 queries.