« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2007, 21:03 »
whats bind weed ?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

Getting rid of weeds on a new plot
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2007, 21:07 »
twitch , couch grass , bindweed is a middle england saying couch is a southern one n twitch a northern one .. even blooming weeeds have accents now lmao :lol:
still alive /............

yummy

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2007, 22:03 »
Well I was quite happy digging up the docks (they go faaar down don't they) and then we had visitors and my organic plans went down the toilet. See me tragic tale of defeat in the organic or not thread. :(

ziggywigs

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2007, 23:45 »
I found some that had seeded from the field next door in the Autumn and panicked....had started to wind around mi plants - devil likes to hide whilst it gets a hold and strangle mi plants.  Soon unwound it and dug it up root an...kept finding new seedlings and eventually spotted the source some had rooted just outside the fence so i dug this up too....no more bindweed.

Bindweed doesn't like to be disturbed so keep on digging, hoeing or spraying!  Best done before June/July when the flowers open and look for the seedling after this.

Here's a link with some good pics of it.....Bindweed and Couch/Twitch and how to deal with it.

muntjac

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2007, 11:48 »
now there'sa thing now all my life i known the real bindweed as hell flower .. n couch as bindweed twitch, the hell flower i absolutly nuke no worries .. same as couch twitch lolo .....

bigtater

weeds
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 08:49 »
when i took on my current allotment 4 years ago.
it hadnt been touched for 10 years there was just about every weed you could think of. i am 6foot 1 an they were bigger than me. the day the council lady showed me the plot we fought with the gate to push it open. then she handed me a stick  she said you might need this to fight your way in.  after i found what i thought was the middle  she said   well do you want it !(wringing her hands )when i said yes she said thank ( **** EXPLETIVE) for that ive had ten blokes down here to offer them the allotment and they looked over the fence and said sod that.           so i sat down an thought for a while how did they do it hundreds of years ago before they had chemicals an rotovators an all the modern expensive stuff we have today. thats when it came to me slash n burn  
i had lots of little bonfires all over the plot took about to weeks to cover the whole plot. as soon as you have burnt an area dig it over.
ankeep removing every little piece of bindweed root you see  eventually youll get there

xx
Clearing the plot - what to do with those weeds?

Started by Green Finger on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 10, 2015, 22:01
by Green Finger
xx
What do you do after clearing a plot of weeds when it's the end of May?

Started by lemonstar on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2018, 12:44
by DHM
xx
Battle plan for weeds on my plot?

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 13:35
by potatogrower
xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 28 queries.