Strawberry plants

• 5 Replies

Willow_Warren

Strawberry plants
« on: May 15, 2015, 11:07 »
Hi,

I was just wondering how close you can grow strawberry plants.

I installed a 1.8m x 0.9m (6ft x 3ft), bed this year, and I want it to all be strawberries.  Currently it has 11 - 12 strawberry plants in there.  So I'm kind of wondering how many plants this bed could  take?

I need to sort some netting out for is so the birds don't steal all my strawberries when they ripen - the amount I spend might have to relate in a little way to the yield I can achieve from the bed at it's optimal capacity (I'm making this sound rather scientific, but really in my head it's not that technical!).

Thanks

Hannah

Nobbie

Re: Strawberry plants
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 11:20 »
I'd say 17 max, 6 down each long side and offset plant 5 down the middle. Put down plenty of straw to keep the fruit up in the air or the close planting will encourage slugs as there will be plenty of shade.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 11:34 »
If you read something like the RHS guide to strawberry spacing your bed is probably already overcrowded, but if you look at traditional strawberry planters they are actually growing quite close together.

Commercial growers really pack them in, but possibly only expect the plants to last a year.

Nobbie's suggestion sounds about the right sort of compromise to me.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 11:38 »
Funnily enough, my plot neighbour's strawberry bed was most productive when he left most of the runners to root where they wanted  :D

No single fruit was large - but there were loads and loads of medium sized ones, So I suppose it depends on what size fruit you want to grow.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 11:56 »
My current 11 plants don't take up the whole of the bed, so I was way off the RHS spacing level!  A total of 17 would just about fill the bed if I continue current spacing, so I guess I'll stick to that and see how it goes!

I've only ever grown them in containers before and yields have not been great, looking forward to seeing if I get better yields from them being in the ground.  Don't think I'll be potting up jars of jam from them though!

Some straw is on my shopping list for protecting the fruit is also on my shopping list.

Hannah :)

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 18:48 »
Planting the strawberries through heavy duty ground cover mesh has worked well for me this year.  I laid down straw around plants in my old strawberry bed and was still pulling up tares several years later!

xx
Strawberry Plants

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 20:49
by backyardbodger
xx
Strawberry plants How many?

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 23:53
by woodburner
xx
Strawberry Plants

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 09:30
by bigben
xx
Strawberry plants

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 23, 2014, 12:03
by ryetek

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 37 queries.