Crowing hen

• 12 Replies

Beano

Crowing hen
« on: February 08, 2010, 12:14 »
I have a slight problem. Poppy, my lovely black chicken has a habit of crowing. Our neighbour did think at one time that we had a cockerel but we have explained that it was a chicken. They are ok at the moment, but she was in full voice at 7.30 this morning. I know that they are fairly early risers next door but it must be a bit annoying.
Why does a chicken crow like a cockerel? Is it age related?
She does it for attention but why does the have to crow. They have had the freedom of the garden all weekend and she was expecting the same today. Is there anything we can do to stop it?
El.

Roughlee Handled

Re: Crowing hen
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:32 »
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Beano

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 13:37 »
That's very interesting. Poppy used to lay every day but seems to have stopped in the last week or so, which is surprising because her comb is bright red. She is looking very healthy and has always been the boss without being bossy. We had the three of them from a flock with a cockerel. I always thought that she seemed to assume the status of the cockerel that they must have missed.
She was poorly for a long while in August, when she had what I can only assume was an accident which made her unable to stand up for at least a fortnight. By December she was back to her old self and was laying every day. She could have damaged her ovary then but she was crowing before then though.
I dont mind as long as the chap next door is fine with her crowing at such an early time.
It would be nice to know why though.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 13:41 »
My girl did this (as a youngster ) but doesn't do it now and hasn't done it since we moved house. I think possibly she was answering a cockerel at a neighbour's house. It was a right old racket but she's been quiet since we've been away from the cockerel  :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 13:44 »
The only thing I can suggest is make the coop a black out coop cover all cracks. She will crow when it is dawn and dawn is getting earlier!!!

Do not for get that chickens do need plenty of ventilation and not a draft.

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 14:06 »
I had a silkie hen who had young chicks with her and she crowed for a few days out of the blue (hubby refused to believe me!) and then stopped.  I thought maybe she was feeling ultra protective but who knows.  Hope your lady stops soon.
Mad chicken woman

Beano

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 14:07 »
Fortunately she only crows when she's out. She's quiet in the coop. We leave for work at 7.30 every morning so it will not get any earlier in the Summer.
Thanks for your replies. I'll have to have a chat with my neighbour and give him some eggs to keep him on side.

Beano

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 14:11 »
Sorry Sarah, tripped over your post while I was sending mine. You could be right about the protection thing. She is a particularly lovely hen with a kindly nature even though she's the top hen.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 18:09 »
I have a very noisy hen that says "Cluck, cluck, cluck SQUAWCK!" shrilly, and often. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Jeanette

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 18:11 »
This remindes me of a saying that i was taught as a child ( a long time ago) it goes
   A whistling woman and a crowing hen is no good for God nor men. I have always whistled and it never stoped me :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 22:19 »
 :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 21:34 »
My old Vorwark bantie crows or tries to. OH says 'has that chicken found her b****y kazoo again'

She's the cream one with the black neck and tail feathers in the middle of this piccie. She's definately a hen and used to lay regularly until she got to be an old girl. It was a dominance thing with Tweetie my cockerel but even now he's in the great hen house in the sky she's still at it  ::)

Beano

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 09:34 »
Not too sure of Poppy's age but I think she's getting on a bit. Having said that, she's looking better that ever, with a glossy coat and bright red comb and wattles.
By the way New shoot, those are lovely looking hens. What are they?

xx
Why is my hen crowing??

Started by Icklemonkey on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 22:34
by yellowmatress
xx
crowing??

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 20:00
by evie2
xx
crowing

Started by seton on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2007, 20:46
by mercury
xx
Crowing Hen

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 19:29
by Frizzle1

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 30 queries.