What type of drinker???

• 13 Replies

Missy

What type of drinker???
« on: December 29, 2008, 20:57 »
Hi
Can anyone advise on the best type of drinker for my chucks.  When I bought them, the breader just had buckets filled with water, but whlst there, two were tipped over by the chucks.  

Do I go for the cheap option of a bucket, or do I invest in a fancy galvanised drinker or one of these plastic ones that hang up.  As I will be out at work for the best part of the day, I don't want them to be without water for any length of time.

I am never very good when I am given a choice!!!!

can anyone advise on the best option????

Foxy

What type of drinker???
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 21:00 »
I like good quality plastic drinkers for my chooks, galvanised are OK -but you cant put Acv in them as it reacts with the metal.
 :D

Missy

What type of drinker???
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 21:04 »
Thanks, thats worth knowing as that wouldn't have occurred to me.  Do you hang your drinkers, or are they free standing????  (Sorry, new to this so still a bit green!) :?

Grumpy Witch

What type of drinker???
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 21:12 »
Hi
We also use the plastic upside containers and hang them with string and a clip attached to the roof of the run.

They are very easy to clean and when the chooks are free ranging in the garden, they are sturdy enough to take down and place somewhere accessible and free standing. ( I have caught the demented spaniel drinking from them too!)  

Don't forget you may need to de- ice on these cold mornings!

Foxy

What type of drinker???
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 21:13 »
I have big plastic drinkers that have legs that fold out underneath so are raised a few inches of the ground, plus they have hangers so could be hung. They are good as easy to fill up as well. I like to be able when filling up to turn them upsidedown and fill them from the outside tap. Other good ones use a vacuum so you can fill them by undoing the top of the drinker.

Here are a selection, I use the green and white drinkers

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/acatalog/Poultry_Drinker.html

Missy

What type of drinker???
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 21:16 »
I am just flicking between web web sites, and there are so many different sized drinkers and different types to choose from.  I am guessing they all do the same thing.  

I have 6 girls, what size would you recommend?  I am thinking the bigger the drinker then the less chance of it being knocked over if left free standing.

Missy

What type of drinker???
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 21:18 »
Thanks Foxy.  This looks promising.

freda

What type of drinker???
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 21:39 »
I 6 girls also and have plastic drinker in covered run and old saucepan (no handle) outside whilst they are free ranging. So far they have only knocked the saucepan over once in 4 months!
Hellooo! I am new to this site and relatively new to keeping chickens but what fun we are having! would love more and hubby coming around to my way of thinking! Kids in love with them!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
What type of drinker???
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 21:54 »
I bought one of ebay and it works great for my 4, for some reason I can't get the link to work but the item number of one on now is 310111552454
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
What type of drinker???
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 22:15 »
We've got just about everything here.  2 of the 30 litre tripod drinkers for the turkeys, but they had them indoors in case of the frost making them brittle over time, then we have the 9 litre green and white ones with little legs like Foxy mentioned, various other smaller ones, but the best buys were the buckets.  

They were £1 from one of the el cheapo shops but they are wider than a normal bucket and only half the height, so they only get tipped over when empty.  At a  £1 each, the grils have 6 of them between them.  there were 7, but last week they were frozen and brainy girl here decided to use my garden claw to break the ice, only problem was I broke the bucket too, but it was the oldest one which has been out in all weatehrs for 3 years now!

have a look at www.solwayfeeders.com too, their prices are very good.

Sassy

What type of drinker???
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 18:43 »
I like the green and white as well. You have the choice of putting the legs out or hanging them up. My own experience has taught me to hang them up. Not only don't they get tipped up they don't get nearly so dirty.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Missy

What type of drinker???
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 19:32 »
A big thanks to you all for the advise.  A green and white one it is then.
Thanks.
P.s. still no eggs!! :?

ScottBarton

What type of drinker???
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 21:33 »
I got mine from Regency Poultry. Outstanding service and quick delivery too. I found they were about the same price as the ones on eBay but the postage prices were far more reasonable, especially as i bought a load of stuff, including a feeder, diatom, aloe vera, poulty shield, stalosan f etc etc
 8)

http://www.regencypoultry.com/drinkers/index.htm

This is the drinker/feeder i bought.
Drinker is a 4Ltr and the feeder is a 3 kilo.

beanie

What type of drinker???
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 21:37 »
We have a plastic one which i put on a few bricks - its prevents any kicked mud/chippings going in the water.  We have four chooks and one is more than enough.....we had the old fashioned glass ones once but the chickens kicked it over and it cracked.  Also the plastic one doesnt seem to freeze as easily (now that could be that we havent had any really cold days this winter yet.......!)

xx
What type of drinker?

Started by camelliagirl on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 20:12
by camelliagirl
xx
Drinker Q

Started by JaK on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 18:01
by JaK
xx
Drinker problem

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 07:08
by HENrietta
xx
enamel drinker

Started by jonesblack on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 13:13
by judrop

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 36 queries.