Over Winter Peas

• 25 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Over Winter Peas
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 22:16 »
I didn't say I was over wintering but I will be growing peas over winter. Pedantic or what!

Probably - but you missed the smiles....... it was meant to be a light-hearted comment, not to be taken as serious criticism  :nowink:

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 09:49 »
I sowed Douce de Provence.  The jackdaws took the first lot, I sowed again & Netted. Two days later it looked as if the plot had been machine gunned, every pea & broad bean Aquadulce Claudia was gone, little holes left & no tracks.  Was it mice ?
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 09:55 »
Sounds a lot like it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 10:44 »
You have to admire mice. No waste of effort, find the seeds by smell and dig a hole.

They have probably not eaten them but taken them to store for later. You may have a crowded patch of peas come up where you are not expecting it.

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 14:44 »
You have to admire mice. No waste of effort, find the seeds by smell and dig a hole.

They have probably not eaten them but taken them to store for later. You may have a crowded patch of peas come up where you are not expecting it.

Probably right by the three new molehills we've discovered, Salmo...

We're still getting peas forming on a few plants which are under debris netting! Never known that before! Not really forming peas, but good for mangetout.

And if anyone can tell me and Mrs Growster, where we can buy some Bachelors Dried Peas, I'd be delighted! They used to 'do' them in Ashford, just down the road for pity's sake - Mums may know...;0)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 14:49 »

And if anyone can tell me and Mrs Growster, where we can buy some Bachelors Dried Peas, I'd be delighted! They used to 'do' them in Ashford, just down the road for pity's sake - Mums may know...;0)

You'll find them with the name "Bigga" slapped on the front, it's that bit that pokes you in the eye. I grew some earlier this year, if you recall.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254875859

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 15:56 »
Mums may know

The only thing I know - is that the Ashford Trashco sell'em, as does DD's local store   ;)  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 16:07 »
As we're geographically challenged for Leicestershire, Mums, I'm sure DD will not mind if we pop over to Ashford, and investigate same...

I'd have thought the Hastings Trashco would have stocked them, but we only got blank looks when we enquired...

I'll try harder!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 16:34 »
Just ask for "Bigga" dried peas. They're pretty standard.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 18:50 »
take this identity photo with you, someone will recognise them  ::)

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 20:59 »
We searched high and low in Trashco, in Hastings, DD and Mums!

Some idiot had never heard of them and also another idiot said the same thing! A customer also tried to help, but didn't...

There are so many idiots that one can cope with on a trip to the seventeen acre Trashco in Hastings...

But they're lovely gals on the tills, it's not their fault...;0(

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 30 queries.