Over Watering?

• 7 Replies

MickyB

• Experienced Member
Over Watering?
« on: May 18, 2015, 13:12 »
Hi All  :)

I have failed to grow Brassica's (cabbage, cauliflower, brussels) from seed twice now and I think that it might be because  I am over watering them. The seed germinate grow to about half an inch, open two leafs and then slowly die - does this sound like the symptoms of over watering?

I recycled the compost from the last failed batch and when I emptied the pots the compost was very wet - which has led me to wonder about the over watering.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Over Watering?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 14:14 »
Think you may have answered your own question - don't know where you are trying to raise them but brassicas don't like too much heat either.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 17:37 »
i put my modules of brassicas in plastic trays that you get meat in from the super markets. i then fill them to the top when they're first sown so the dry compost will suck it all up then just keep a couple mm of water in the bottom.

i've never had  a problem with them like this but i may have just been lucky i suppose.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 18:13 »
Think you may have answered your own question - don't know where you are trying to raise them but brassicas don't like too much heat either.

I tried them in the greenhouse and the first batch that failed I put down to the extremes of temperature - too hot in the day and too cold at night, I then tried them in the potting shed which doesn't get quite so warm - that failure I put down to over watering - I have now tried another batch on a shaded windowsill in the house to keep the temperature more stable and I am going to water them sparingly - where would the best place to raise them be? I am trying the 'club root resistant' varieties; Crispus, Kilaton and Clapton, are these particularly difficult to raise? Can I sow direct to the soil, if so when would be the right time to sow?

Cheers all  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 10:18 »
I sow mine in a small pot in MPC and space the seeds with my fingers so they won't get over-crowded when they germinate otherwise they would damp-off. Then I cover them with the recommended depth of compost. The pot is put into a tray of water and as soon as the surface feels damp (not wet) I take it out and put it in a little tray. Best way to test if it needs watering again is to lift the pot and see if it feels light; if so, I repeat the process. I've successfully germinated various brassicas in my cold greenhouse despite variations in temperature, so I think it is over-watering that is your problem. Once your new batch germinates, I'd put them in the greenhouse and shade them with netting or fleece suspended on a shelf or whatever so the sun doesn't shine directly on them. As far as I know, there is no difference in raising different varieties and am sure you can sow direct (but watch out for slugs and snails), so try both methods ans see what you get.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

luke34

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 20:53 »
i would over water thing when i was a lad many moons ago. my dad would say how would you like to go to bed wringing wet through. something that has stayed with me.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 21:04 »
I do my cabbages outside, they sit on the wall in a mesh basket in their 3 inch pots so they dont sit in it but they get a regular soaking with our british weather. No heat, no fuss.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 20:37 »
Resisted the temptation to over-water and so far so good, already passed the stage that the other batches failed at, so far so good, although with all the setbacks the Brassica's might be going in late this year.

xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
watering....

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 29, 2008, 08:55
by courgette
xx
Watering

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 14:31
by simonwatson
xx
Watering in the sun ok?

Started by whippersnapper on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 21:16
by Ice

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 29 queries.