No Brassicas in crop rotation?

• 4 Replies

mamapamakel

No Brassicas in crop rotation?
« on: January 19, 2013, 18:02 »
Hi everyone!

New to the forum and GYO, so would love to hear you seasoned growers' advice.  My lovely husband has built 4 raised beds each a 1 mtr sq, for me to GYO.  We are not big Brassica eaters, so was wondering what I should or could grow in the traditional brassica bed, if trying to adopt the 4 bed crop rotation?
Would it make any difference to the crop if that bed was omitted, as the whole point is to benefit the next seasons lot of crop which would be the root veg etc. Would probably fill the bed with courgettes, and spinach beat and  anything else I could fit in.

Love to hear your thoughts on the matter, thank you in advance.  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: No Brassicas in crop rotation?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 18:34 »
If you're not great brassica eaters, then by all means miss it out.  Beds of that size probably wouldn't be great for the bigger brassicas such as cabbages; you could grow something like chard (not a brassica) or kale which takes up less space.

Things like sweetcorn, courgettes, salad, leaf beet, etc do not fit anywhere in particular in a crop rotation so would be fine if you preferred.  Bear in mind that courgettes are large plants when fully grown, and would fill the best part of a bed.

PS Welcome to the site :)

If you add your general location to your forum profile it will help us answer questions, as climate is often relevant to an answer ;)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 18:38 »
Don't forget you can also go vertical with a number of plants including some types of courgettes.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mamapamakel

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 19:31 »
Thanks for the feedback Yorkie and Auntiemogs.

I did wonder about Kale. Never actually tried it, but it could be an option.  I did grow some courgette in containers a couple of seasons ago, which started the GYO bug.  Not done much since, as OH totally revamped garden and it was a building site for almost 2 years.  They did OK, which is why I thought a two or three might do OK in a bed, as not looking to grow prize marrows! :D

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 19:50 »
maybe when a bed is emptied in late summer, you might be able to sow a mustard or radish green manure?

xx
Two-year rotation legumes and brassicas

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 20:59
by viettaclark
question
Crop rotation - can anyone help?

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 20:02
by solway cropper
xx
Crop rotation

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 07:11
by rogertb
xx
Crop Rotation

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 02, 2007, 11:12
by WG.

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 35 queries.