Turf or seed

• 6 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
Turf or seed
« on: April 08, 2013, 21:11 »
Hi, My new back garden is a little world of suprises, all mish mash and not a bit uniform, on two levels joined with a step, problem is it is gravelled, i would like to return to grass now the conifers are gone, whats the best approach to this, there is a membrane under the gravel, not sure whats under that, soil i expect, how is turf laid, does it need a layer of soil?  :)

casper

• Experienced Member
Re: Turf or seed
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 21:12 »
or would seeding be better ??

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 07:12 »
Both turf and seed will need a layer of soil to gro into. Turf has a more immediate effect visually, but it has to be carefully looked after and watered suffficiently whilst it is settling in and knitting together properly, especially if the weather is dry. Turf is quite a bit more expensive than seed, but birds and other wildlife might eat quite a bit of seed before it gets to germinate.

Just some pros and cons to both sides as we have used both techniques in the past to replace an old lawn or achieve a new one. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 08:03 »
Depend's on the time factor, if you want a quick result go for turf. if you are prepared to wait then seed much of which is coated now to deter bird's can give a better result. The main job is getting the gound levelled and sorting out any other problems before you go ahead.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 16:12 »
I agree with the others but you might want to have a look at the gravel's membrane first to see how tough it is so you'd know how much soil you'd have to bring in. Put in too little soil and the grass will suffer and die, and your time and money are wasted regardless of seed or turf.

If you can keep people off the fresh soil, the UK generally gets enough rain to get seed growing quickly and cheaply. It prefers cool weather so now would be the ideal time.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 22:57 »
I am taking up a half laid path, it has a weed membrane underneath. Do I not have to remove it before add soil to correct the height? I'm planning on sowing grass seeds.
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 23:11 »
Yes i have seen seed sowed successfully on a large scale and i have also seen dead turf that has not been watered, would need 60ft long and 30-35ft wide, so a fair amount of seed, minus the space for my sheds and borders. not too worried about immediate effect, because by the time we have dug out tree stumps, straightened borders and dealt with the pond i think it will be the last thing, although sowing now would be good  :)

xx
Turf or seed

Started by mickeyboy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 14:09
by mumofstig
xx
turf or seed

Started by babe on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post January 30, 2008, 21:54
by gobs
xx
Laying turf or growing from seed?

Started by niceglasses on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 18:08
by Totty
xx
Recreating a lawn - seed or turf?

Started by Casey76 on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post November 21, 2013, 18:39
by grinling

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 28 queries.