Why are Squashes and Potatoes bad bed mates?

• 4 Replies

kirpi

Why are Squashes and Potatoes bad bed mates?
« on: September 14, 2014, 17:47 »
I have read on several sites that you shouldn't grow squashes in the same bed as potatoes as they are bad companion plants - but is that because the squash foliage might cover the potatoes or is there some other reason?

I aim to plant one or two Butternuts on the ends of my potato bed as we don't plan to grow maincrops; only first earlies and Kestrel seconds as they store well so will have some extra space for BNS.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Why are Squashes and Potatoes bad bed mates?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 22:11 »
I've never heard that. ???
They're not going to share blight or anything as not related?? Maybe it is the sprawling nature... :unsure:

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 23:19 »
I always grow half a bed potatoes and half squashes/pumpkins/courgettes/sweetcorn with no problem. Both potatoes and squashes like to spread so leave plenty of space between them, and do not let the squashes wander over the potatoes until the potatoes start to die back. Then, and after you have lifted the potatoes, it is a good place for them to sprawl. Grow the earlies nearest to the squashes and they are lifted before the squashes got going.

kirpi

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 23:23 »
Yes, thanks both. That's what I did this year Salmo and as you say once the fist earlies are up the squashes can take up the space.

Just thought to ask as other sites that show lists of companion plantings say not to combine these two, but probably because they may compete for space if not closely watched.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:24 »
If they are in plenty of muck I don't see any problems. I usually plonk a squash in any gap that appears in the spuds say where one fails  :)  you can plant them on the outside edge so you can train them where you want them

xx
Potatoes and Squashes/Pumpkins

Started by MadAboutVeg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 09:00
by Kristen
xx
squashes

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 09:41
by Pompey Spud
xx
Squashes

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 19:55
by mumofstig
xx
help with squashes

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 19:26
by pink aubergine

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 37 queries.