Is anyone doing any gardening at all?

• 48 Replies

oddbuthappy

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 17:55 »
Quote from: "Dominic"
I'm a firsty too.
I'm getting dead impatient so just keep planting more fruit bushes and more raddishes

lol, I skipped round my parents house yesterday to steal their gooseberry bush only to find they'd ditched it months ago... gutted!

I have a friend who's taking me off to a wholesalers this weekend to find a mature plum tree... going to look for the most odd shaped, desperate looking one and flutter the eyelashes for a discount! :lol:

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Re: wow
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 18:21 »
Quote from: "oddbuthappy"
I have vegetable envy!

I thought my little seddlings were doing really well until I saw everyone elses efforts!

This is my first proper veg attempt, so far I have...

Potatoes - only just popping out the ground
Beans - As above, no idea what kind, they were given to me without a label

In the greenhouse... more beans, leeks, sprouts, radishes, peas, sweetcorn, cucumber, pumpkin, lettuce... everything has only just started appearing appart from the sweetcorn which i only did yesterday.  ...except I think I've killed my cucumber, pumpkin and sprouts already!

it's all a bit of an experiment as I don't have a clue what I'm doing... but I've enjoyed myself so far which makes it worth while!

You've definitely done better than I have! I'm doing my first potatoes tomorrow...
Beans - are they happy to be transplanted? Always thought they did better planted directly into their final home?
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

Trillium

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 18:28 »
As long as you don't disturb the roots, the beans will transplant. Better off to direct seed.

I just came home with a young fig tree, about 4" tall. Paid about 3 quid equivalent for it and it's a start.  Later this aft I'm dragging out the rotovator to turn over the first bed and plant my shallots and red onions. It's about 24C here the last few days and time to get ahead of the biting flies that will arrive soon.

oddbuthappy

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 18:32 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
Beans - are they happy to be transplanted? Always thought they did better planted directly into their final home?

havent got a clue... i know nothing!  but i paniced planting things straight into the great outdoors... my aim is to do everything for nothing, so literally everything i have has been recycled or swapped (eggs from the chooks come in very handy)... but this means at the time, I had no compost or fertiliser for the soil when I dug it all over... so I stuck a few of everything into newspaper planters in the greenhouse in case the outdoors ones failed... I've got no idea what does and doesnt like being transplanted so I've done everything that way.

Trillium

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 20:35 »
Just got in from rotovating the first half of one garden, and is it hot outside! Wasn't thinking when I went outside and forgot to put on sunscreen. Now have slightly sunburned arms. Oh well, it could be worse - like freezing in the UK   :lol:  :lol:

jacnal

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2008, 21:30 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Just got in from rotovating the first half of one garden, and is it hot outside! Wasn't thinking when I went outside and forgot to put on sunscreen. Now have slightly sunburned arms. Oh well, it could be worse - like freezing in the UK   :lol:  :lol:

You are just showing off now  :evil:  :evil:

'Twas so cold and windy here today I couldn't get motivated to do any gardening  :(

Hoping tomorrow morning is sunny and hot - yeah right  :roll:

woodburner

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2008, 22:37 »
It was supposed to be sunny this morning then rain later but it was cold grey and windy all day, so nothing doing here either. ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 22:47 »

I ALWAYS grow my beans in trays & transplant. Been (ha-ha) doing it that way for as long as I can remember, be they runners, climbing French, dwarf French, Borlotto or whatever.

They are grown, as I say, in trays, not single pots, so the roots DO get disturbed during transplantation. (Growing 200++ beans I'm not making paper pots, using peat pots, or whatever!).

I have lost very few plants over the years and this method ensures you get a plant where you want it, rather than the slugs nibbling off the shoots.

It is in fact recommended by Dr. H. for the colder parts of the country.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2008, 00:35 »

You bet! About time I had better weather earlier than you chaps.  :wink:

jacnal

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2008, 00:45 »

You bet! About time I had better weather earlier than you chaps.  :wink:

You also had better weather longer than we did, if my memory serves me right - Indian Summer anyone? Nature's unkind to GB, I tell you!

Trillium

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2008, 15:25 »
It's another gorgeous sunny 24C day here, so I'm of to plant all my onions. Too tired yesterday after rotovating and woodpile stacking.

jacnal

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2008, 20:06 »
It's another gorgeous sunny 24C day here, so I'm of to plant all my onions. Too tired yesterday after rotovating and woodpile stacking.

:roll:  :wink:

It's been peeing all day over here - albeit just tiny little droplets. And I've not seen a glimmer of sun and the wind - OMG! So windy, signs are falling off their posts!

Caddi fuller-teabags

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2008, 20:29 »
I returned to my lottie to find the coldframe (one of those plastic, flatpack thingies) had blown away and my poor sweet peas were done for.

The radishes I planted two weeks ago have emerged as have the caulis and broccoli,and the five garlic plants are about two inches tall, but that is the lot so far.  Apart from the asparagus that we inherited, of course, which is now showing big fat shoots.  (Anyone know how we get the thin, tender tasty shoots, btw?)

My greenhouse has suffered so much storm damage that we can't us it, so my window ledges are groaning with plants that need to be hardened off.  Because the coldframe is gone,  I put the plants in the greenhouse and put some panes of glass round them to protect them from the wind.

Since it is our first growing season on this plot, I still have two beds to make and prepare, and I have to do that before I can even think about transplanting.

I really need to get out there and start digging and transplanting but am loathe to do so until the danger of frosts is gone.  I was hoping to get there in the evenings but it is always too cold or raining.

I am worried, I don't want to plant loads of seedlings that I can't transplant.
I get my kicks on Plot 66!

Trillium

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2008, 02:25 »
Caddi, the only way to get slender asparagus roots is to plant new, young plants. The older they get, the thicker the root, so new plants will give you slender ones for up to 5 years. As for the older roots, we take a veg peeler to the thicker ends of the stems and they're really nice without that tough covering.

Well chuffed with myself today. Direct seeded 4 large pkts of barlotto beans, 2 pkts of  different french beans, Champion of England peas, golden beets, bright lights swiss chard, Hutterite soup beans as well as shallots and red onions. More stuff to go in, but its a start. And my knees are killing me  :lol:

shaun

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2008, 10:04 »
i had a gardening day yesterday done loads in the greenhouse,sowing beans/lettuce/broccoli/sprouts/cabbage/pumkins transplanting toms and peppers and more lettuce.then down to the plot in the afternoon with the rotavator  8) ,got all my onions in (300) got 50 shallots in and 2 more rows of spuds (desiree)
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
new to gardening...

Started by veggies on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 09:08
by veggies
xx
No dig gardening

Started by freckledbeck on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 07:57
by freckledbeck
xx
I'm new to gardening

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 16:57
by Goosegirl
xx
New to Gardening

Started by greenockian on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 16:34
by greenockian

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 28 queries.