Is anyone doing any gardening at all?

• 48 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 19:35 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
Aunty, what brassiccas have you going at the moment? Can I sow brocolli again now? I'll look into sowing some cukes, tomatoes and leeks by the end of this week (from seed).

I know I'm not Aunty but I'm in London too!  I've got brussels and cabbages growing nicely as regards brassicas.

Thanks Masha! :wink:

I'll sow some brussels now then for this coming winter (right?). I was put off cabbages last year - a waste of time and space - they refused to heart! Hmmm, might try caurlis too
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

humanrotivator

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 21:26 »
Ive got a stone of maris bard and a stone and a half of nadine planted,300 onion sets stuttgart and turbos,3 rows of parsnips and a row of shallots.In the greenhouses i have got greyhound,primo,red drumhead cabbages in trays also cauliflower,broccoli,sprouts,200 leeks,230 onion seed bedfordshire champion and 2 spanish types,cucumbers,pak choi,alicante toms and two bulgarian types ones a beefeater and i think the other is a plum variety.I am waiting for some settled weather now to get my beet,peas and carrots to be sown. :?

jacnal

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 23:31 »
Quote from: "humanrotivator"
Ive got a stone of maris bard and a stone and a half of nadine planted,300 onion sets stuttgart and turbos,3 rows of parsnips and a row of shallots.In the greenhouses i have got greyhound,primo,red drumhead cabbages in trays also cauliflower,broccoli,sprouts,200 leeks,230 onion seed bedfordshire champion and 2 spanish types,cucumbers,pak choi,alicante toms and two bulgarian types ones a beefeater and i think the other is a plum variety.I am waiting for some settled weather now to get my beet,peas and carrots to be sown. :?

Wow! Well done you!

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 11:08 »
I did my first "Big Dig" this weekend. Got lots done, but not enough! Hopefully the weather will stay nice so more can be done!! Gotta love the totally unpredictable weather!! Hail on sat followed by glorious sunshine!!!

philskin

1st spuds coming on well
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 14:14 »
hi got all me spuds in and onions most seeds sown weather is wet but it was starting to warm but there is frost forecast tonite, so covered my earlies with polythene and used the fleece i bought to cover the garden thanks for the tip john. trying to post pick here goes pics are normally to big trying to shrink them hope its ok. These are the pots with single spuds the double ones are by the garage expecting to feed the neighbours as well lol                                                                                                                      [/IMG]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 [/IMG]                                                                                                                                                                                                                        everything else is started under cover in the shed [/IMG]
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

The Thin Blue Line

• Experienced Member
  • One Forking at a time please.
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 18:08 »
Managed to get out and do some of garden stuff so took some piccies

Click Here

jacnal

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 19:02 »
Okay, I've managed to do a little gardening today - planted some of my onions that are still in pots. Got so many onions and garlic in pots, I doubt I'll have space for it all in the ground I can prepare - especially as I need to get more stuff in too. I took a couple of green garlic for pasta tonight - that's the joy of producing one's own huh? You can eat it as you please - especially the surplus! Try buying green garlic in a supermarket :roll: ...

Hey DB, Phil and TBL! Thanks for sharing too!

Phil, are all your potatoes in crates? Are they special crates for pots? Where did you buy them? (You realise by now I just want to copy you, right? :wink: ). See, I got some already chitted seed potatoes today and although I have those potato bags, I don't have enough (six). I went overboard (as I always do), bought 10 tubers pink fir (maincrop), 10 tubers Maris Peer (2nd earlies) and 2 kgs Cara (maincrop). The Cara, I'll grow at the plot (and pray no blight bothers them), the others I'm growing at home in the bags and/or bins/crates/etc.

Hoping for a good day again tomorrow so I can get planting and digging.

Still awaiting my first 'big dig' DB!

philskin

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 09:22 »
Morning jacnal no ive only put my earlies in crates the 2nd earlies and maincrop are in the garden , with the earlies ( pentland javellin ) i put 1 spud in some and 2 in others so i can compare yeilds.  The boxes are used to import cut flowers from overseas , so if you know anyone who imports flowers for there buisness beg some of them. As soon as i saw them i was cheeky enough to scrounge some ( if you dont ask you dont get ) it seems the company who delivers them if they have got a catch load to take home wont take them back , hope thats been helpfull    phil

jacnal

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 22:35 »
Quote from: "philskin"
Morning jacnal no ive only put my earlies in crates the 2nd earlies and maincrop are in the garden , with the earlies ( pentland javellin ) i put 1 spud in some and 2 in others so i can compare yeilds.  The boxes are used to import cut flowers from overseas , so if you know anyone who imports flowers for there buisness beg some of them. As soon as i saw them i was cheeky enough to scrounge some ( if you dont ask you dont get ) it seems the company who delivers them if they have got a catch load to take home wont take them back , hope thats been helpfull    phil

Thanks for the info Phil - local florists, here I come, lol!

matron

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 07:44 »
I STILL haven't got anything in the ground and at the moment it is snowing.  :?
Will someone please tell the weather it is spring.

The Thin Blue Line

• Experienced Member
  • One Forking at a time please.
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 09:39 »
I think we should bin the use of calander months and adjust the seasons to then they actualy are ..

jacnal

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 10:29 »
I hear your frustration Matron. I'm the same - nothing in the ground yet (apart from alliums).

TBL, you may be onto something here. The calender and the seasons are becoming obsolete it seems! Imagine in future - computerised calenders that tell all what the weather will be like on the day... possibly letting people know the temperatures in the ground too (for gardeners, lol)...  :roll:

Okay, off to the plot I go :lol:

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 12:44 »
Quote from: "DD."
Quote from: "Dominic"

Got some raddish and a few spring onions in propagators, the raddishes that were planted out didnt survive the snow.

Radish do not like being  transplanted, it's probably not the snow that did them in!

Here's how I do it..

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=196759&highlight=radish#196759

DD - are the cat litter trays deep enough for the radish to grow to maturity :?: What about the longer types like Frech Breakfast...

oddbuthappy

wow
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 17:11 »
I have vegetable envy!

I thought my little seddlings were doing really well until I saw everyone elses efforts!

This is my first proper veg attempt, so far I have...

Potatoes - only just popping out the ground
Beans - As above, no idea what kind, they were given to me without a label

In the greenhouse... more beans, leeks, sprouts, radishes, peas, sweetcorn, cucumber, pumpkin, lettuce... everything has only just started appearing appart from the sweetcorn which i only did yesterday.  ...except I think I've killed my cucumber, pumpkin and sprouts already!

it's all a bit of an experiment as I don't have a clue what I'm doing... but I've enjoyed myself so far which makes it worth while!

Dominic

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 17:46 »
I'm a firsty too.
I'm getting dead impatient so just keep planting more fruit bushes and more raddishes
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

xx
gardening

Started by ditchdigger on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post December 24, 2007, 10:44
by gobs
xx
No dig gardening

Started by freckledbeck on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 07:57
by freckledbeck
xx
I'm new to gardening

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 16:57
by Goosegirl
xx
New to Gardening

Started by greenockian on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 16:34
by greenockian

Page created in 0.856 seconds with 31 queries.