Advice needed please. Is it just my hens .....

• 18 Replies

symonep

• Experienced Member
Advice needed please. Is it just my hens .....
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:59 »
First thing in the morning, like 6.15-7am they sqwark and sqwark, we do everything o kep them quiet but nothing makes a difference. The last few weeks have been particularly bad, as I am typing this they are all sqwarking. No one has complained....YET but if I lived next door I would.

I am considering rehoming them as I can't take the stress of keeping them quiet in case I upset a neighbours.

They have an automatic timer on their coop but sqwark if it isn't open by about 6.20 when it is still pitch black. It seems that after about 7am they settle own and we don't hear a peep out of them really all day. Anyone see anything we are owing wrong. We made the mistake of giving them treats in the mornings so I guess they expect that now but don't want to stop doing that in case they are noisier .

Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

symonep

• Experienced Member
Re: Advice needed please. Is it just my hens .....
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:08 »
The other odd hing is my hubby leaves for work at 7 and they instantly shut up once he has gone! Very odd

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 07:32 »
check with your neighbours to see if they can hear them - often we think they are noisier than they really are. you could also try setting their pop hole to open up earlier and rather than giving them treats make them a porridge of layers pellets and hot water or send your husband to work earlier  ::) :lol:.
Staffies are softer than you think.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 09:44 »
check with your neighbours to see if they can hear them - often we think they are noisier than they really are. you could also try setting their pop hole to open up earlier and rather than giving them treats make them a porridge of layers pellets and hot water or send your husband to work earlier  ::) :lol:.

Hahah now there is a idea!
I set it to open this morning at 6.15 so 30 minutes earlier than yesterday. It made no difference but will try and set it earlier. I gave them the layers porridge this morning but again that didn't stop them being noisey. I wonder if it is something like they can't see as it is when the security light goes off they get noisier. I threw in a few meal worms this morning and they couldn't find them!
They have made a peep since 7! Maybe I need a chicken psychologist  :lol:

Our neighbour hood is laid out strange and we have one attached neighbour then an alleyway and that houses on the other side, one has said they never hear them and didn't even know we had chickens and one neighbour is so miserable that he asked us to lower a security light as it was shining in his house even though he is no where near us so I guess you are right and I am sure if they were waking people up they would say something

Brood of Bournemouth

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 09:49 »
I kind of get the same on the weekends when I'm off work and attempt to have a have an extra hour of sleep, which never happens because the girls want there breakfast and morning walk around the garden at 6.30-7. I have to get up because they moan if there routine is broken and really I like that they do.
I think it would be best to voice your concern to the neighbours, if they do hear them then you could bribe with eggs come the summer. The porridge sounds like a good idea which is what I give mine on the cold mornings.

helens-hens

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 13:47 »
Do they actually need the pop hole to be opened that early? I have disconnected my timer and just using the light sensor at the moment (which I have had to help with a torch the last few days as it has been so dreary!).

My girls tend to come out now at about 7.45 as it is getting light. Hens don't see particularly well in the dark so perhaps this is spooking them? If you think about it, apart from the odd warble from a robin or blackbird, the wild garden birds don't become very active until it is lighter and probably safer against predators.

If the pophole is closed their squawks should at least be muffled and I think they would get used to ther new timetable.

Hope this helps
Helen

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 14:51 »
I have to be honest, that wouldnt bother me, I miss my cockerel in the morningfs (so do my neighbours)

Even though he was daft as a brush, never could tell the time :)

Have a chat with the neighbours see if they hear them, I got great neighbours, they never complained, (except when the cockerel got killed) and they didnt hear him

Personally I think its fine, but I dont live next door to you
It's all about the journey, not the destination

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 16:11 »
Thanks guys, I will try a few different things over the next few days and see if anything works, by about 6.30am they are so squawky but like you say it is slightly muffled, I do think it is the dark that is upsetting them and maybe if I switch off the security light then the dogs won't set it off and set the birds off .

Will let you know how it goes!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 16:12 »
I think they get like spoilt children, the more you fuss over them the more noise they make.

Mine have been a bit noisier lately but that is because they are starting to lay again after being in moult.  Just the normal bok, bok telling everyone how clever they are.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ehs284

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 18:15 »
Check with the neighbours. Ours are very noisy and the neighbours can hear them (as can half the village), but they (neighbours) are quite happy and not the least bit disturbed. Sometimes hearing animals can be very soothing.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 19:00 »
I think they get like spoilt children, the more you fuss over them the more noise they make.

Mine have been a bit noisier lately but that is because they are starting to lay again after being in moult.  Just the normal bok, bok telling everyone how clever they are.
You hit the nail on the head there! Going to have to be cruel to be kind new I think, coop door will now open at 7.15, no more treats in the morning and will try not to go out o them when they are noisey, will see how it goes!

pepsi100

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 19:01 »
Check with the neighbours. Ours are very noisy and the neighbours can hear them (as can half the village), but they (neighbours) are quite happy and not the least bit disturbed. Sometimes hearing animals can be very soothing.

It can be, my garden is too quiet, I miss my birds, so if things go belly up, keep me in mind, I have a nice coop and run already and waiting  ;) newly painted, cleaned, new roof, new food/water pots, new wire fencing, ground turned over, chick grass planted

It looks so desolate without my birds in there  >:(

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 07:09 »
Well it is nearly 10 past 7 and all is quiet! Turning the security lights off has worked! They made a little noise when they could hear the dogs out there but settled down after they went in. Their door is due to open in a minute but now I know they can be quiet I will set it to a later time. Fingers crossed for a long term solution!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 08:38 »
I have bantam cockerels but when I first started with hens, they would make a racket each morning while still in the coop.  I think it is a territorial thing.

My 9 year old bantam Vorwark was one of the original crowers and still does, daft old girl that she is.  OH says 'Mrs Doubtfire has got hold of that kazoo again'  :lol: 

helens-hens

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 10:44 »
I have bantam cockerels but when I first started with hens, they would make a racket each morning while still in the coop.  I think it is a territorial thing.

My 9 year old bantam Vorwark was one of the original crowers and still does, daft old girl that she is.  OH says 'Mrs Doubtfire has got hold of that kazoo again'  :lol: 

I love the bit about the kazoo, I can hear her now!

I think chickens like most animals, including us, like a bit of routine and though it can take time they will get used to it. In the summer though when the mornings are a lot lighter, their internal alarm clocks seem to be uncannily accurate and before I got the timer, whingeing could be heard from the hen house if I was even just a couple minutes late letting them out  ::)

xx
Advice Needed New Hens

Started by scampy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 15:06
by scampy
xx
Introducing Hens - Advice Needed!

Started by Burtie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 22:14
by babe
xx
More advice needed on keeping hens

Started by rugbymad40 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 23:15
by muntjac
xx
Integrating new hens - advice needed

Started by Pony Girl on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 07:18
by joyfull

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 32 queries.