zebrune shallot

• 3 Replies

jambop

zebrune shallot
« on: February 07, 2016, 10:42 »
Trying some zebrune shallots from seed this year. I have them sown in a small cold frame which although unheated get warm quite quickly when the sun gets on it and they are now through. I cover it at night with a thermal blanket to try and keep the cold out. Question is though are these seedlings badly affected if it gets a bit chilly while they are small? I have heard it said that onions will be inclined to bolt if they get too cold when they are being raised from seed wondered if shallots are the same?

Markw

• Experienced Member
Re: zebrune shallot
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 20:23 »
I have grown these for the past few years, I would say if they get to hot is the condition that causes them to bolt,  I never had any bold over the last few years but keep them well watered in the early stages. they don't mind a bit of cold and I have never covered them .. They are one of the best banana shallots I have grown I am still eating last years supply.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Snoop

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 22:32 »
I grow them too. Where I am in Spain, it is a bit extreme: very cold in winter and very hot in summer with drought interspersed with torrential storms. I've never had Zebrune bolt, whatever the weather.

That said, I don't sow them anything like as early as this.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 10:03 »
I just sowed them early because the seed suppliers notes said it could be done under cover so I thought why not give them a try. The have germinated well in the little coldframe so happy about that but was worried about low night temps, I do cover them at night though.
They are obviously a good keeper then Markw ? This is one of the reasons I have grown them I find that my onions tend to be prone to rotting even though the get well dried out before storing.

xx
Shallot Zebrune seedling problems

Started by BrenSouthYorks on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2018, 22:45
by BrenSouthYorks
xx
Shallot’s

Started by adal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 20:34
by adal
xx
Shallot sets

Started by woodavon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 07, 2013, 13:56
by woodavon
xx
Shallot experiment

Started by Gardener and Rabbit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2015, 07:14
by Steveharford

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 32 queries.